Goodwin State Forest - Seasonal Help
- Up to 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday, weekend work is required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
- Design and teach environmental education programs, in cooperation with other staff and volunteers, at the Goodwin Conservation Center;
- Work with the goal of increasing the public's understanding, appreciation, enjoyment of, and concern for the significant historic and natural resources of the Goodwin Conservation Center, the Goodwin State Forest and Connecticut forests in general;
- Conducting a variety of interpretive programs including, but not limited to, tours, field walks, and other events to youth and adult audiences;
- Publicity and public relations;
- Record keeping;
- Creation care and maintenance of educational supplies;
- Organizing programs involving other presenters;
- Some outdoor work in varied weather conditions; and
- Performs related duties as required.
1. Complete a Master Application and directly apply to this recruitment.
2. Ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
3. Regularly check your email for notifications (be sure to check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error).
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
- Experience in conservation, forestry and/or natural resource topics.
- Experience with coursework in ecology, natural resource conservation, environmental education, forestry, wildlife and/or a related field is preferred.
- Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
- Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
- Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
- Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
- College training in a specific field.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
- Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.