Are you a Registered Professional Nurse?
If so, we have an excellent opportunity to join our hospital’s team!
- Work Schedule: Full-Time (40 Hours), First Shift (9:00 A.M. - 5:30 P.M.)
- Rotating schedule, including every other weekend and holiday as scheduled
- Address: 287 West Street, Rocky Hill, CT
- PCN: 134994
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to work for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- A healthy work/life balance to all employees
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Engage in a rewarding career;
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve;
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
MORE ABOUT US:
For over 140 years, DVA has been caring for its veterans and their dependents. As a Department, we believe in "serving those who have served." This is accomplished through our: Office of Advocacy and Assistance, Residential Facility, Healthcare Center, and Cemetery and Burial Services.
The DVA has supported Connecticut Veterans and continues this tradition with Residential and Healthcare programming on our campus in Rocky Hill. There are two paths for residency at the DVA:
- Residential Facility: offers temporary, supportive living with programming designed to return Connecticut Veterans to independent living in the community;
- Sgt. John L. Levitow Healthcare Center: a state-of-the-art medical facility that offers long-term care for veterans with chronic, disabling conditions who require 24-hour assistance.
When you walk through the doors of the Healthcare Center (HCC), one immediately feels a sense of community, comfort, and camaraderie. The HCC stands apart from other 24-hour care centers with full time Physicians and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses on staff. Our highly trained staff is dedicated to providing compassionate care to meet the unique needs of Veteran patients, built on the foundation of integrity, honor, and respect. We pride ourselves on fostering these qualities as we honor Veteran patients for their service and encourage the innate bond between them.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Nicole Frascatore via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state health care facility this class is accountable for performing activities related to patient safety and the transportation of patients, specimens, equipment, medical records and supplies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Transports patients in a safe manner to and from medical appointments or clinical, ancillary and support areas by wheelchair, stretcher, bed, chair or other modes as requested to include transport of patients with rolling IV poles, oxygen tanks, intravenous pumps, drips or special equipment; observes and reports changes in patient's mental, physical or emotional condition; calls appropriate staff for patient assistance; establishes and maintains effective communication and a professional relationship with patients; maintains confidentiality regarding patient information; maintains a safe and secure environment for patients and staff; assists clinical staff in transferring patients to and from beds and stretchers; collects, delivers and handles body fluid specimens, linens and medical records following defined protocols; responds to telephone inquiries, triage calls, beepers and code blue and assists as directed; maintains an accurate log of calls completed in log book; transports expired bodies to morgue; assists people in and out of vehicles and escorts or transports them to and from units assisting in carrying luggage, opening doors, etc.; replenishes unit supplies; performs related duties required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of proper patient transfer techniques including body mechanics; knowledge of safety policies and procedures; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; skills in patient transport, oxygen transport and customer service; ability to follow instructions; ability to successfully complete an in-service orientation; ability to keep simple records; ability to respect patient’s privacy and dignity; ability to operate a beeper.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Any experience or training which provides the skill and ability to perform the duties listed above.
- CNA Certification.
- Experience working in a Skilled Nursing Facility.
- Experience caring for patients with dementia.
- Experience transporting patients to appointments.
- Experience caring for veteran patients.
- Incumbents in this class must maintain CPR certification.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class are required to lift patients (minimum of fifty (50) pounds), walk for sustained periods of time (at least 45 minutes per hour) and have some exposure to communicable and/or infectious diseases. Considerable effort may be required in assisting/lifting of patients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.