Does the opportunity to learn from specialists in the accounting field with on-the-job training excite you? If so, a fulfilling career awaits you! Join our fantastic team in state service by applying today!
- The opportunity to work for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule.
- NEW: A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and development opportunities.
- A healthy work/life balance to all employees.
- Monday – Friday
- 1st Shift
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Hybrid schedule, must be flexible in order to meet the needs of the agency.
- Location: Hartford, CT
The Role: (Job duties include, but are not limited to:)
- Receiving training in introductory accounting or auditing work for development of skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement into a professional agency accounting or auditing position.
- Performing a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during the course of the training period.
- Examining financial records of governmental or private businesses and accounting methods and procedures to ensure compliance with statutes, regulations, guidelines or accepted accounting principles.
- May receive training in such areas as maintaining financial records and accounts, establishing financial statements and schedules, and preparing budget estimates.
The salary for an employee who completes any of the above minimum requirements after initial appointment to the Accounting Careers Trainee job class will be adjusted commensurate with the schedule above and effective the pay period following the date the degree has been conferred or the pay period following the date the appropriate number of credits as indicated above have been earned. For current state employee's compensation will be in accordance with guidelines for computing salary adjustments set forth by the Department of Administrative Services, Determining Salary Upon Change in Class Manual.
The Department of Developmental Services (DDS), partners with the individuals we support and their families, to support lifelong planning and to join with others to create and promote meaningful opportunities for individuals to fully participate as valued members of their communities. We hope you take this opportunity to continue your career with us and make an impact by serving your state!
Prior to appointment to this class there must be an approved designated class within the bargaining unit identified to which the incumbent will be appointed upon successful completion of an approved development program. The length of the development program is determined by the experience and training requirements of the designated class and the prior experience of the incumbent. At the completion of the development program incumbents must meet the experience and training requirements of the designated class. The program cannot be less than one (1) year and cannot exceed three (3) calendar years in accordance with C.G.S. 5-234. Incumbents in this class will be eligible for reclassification to the designated class without competitive examination upon successful completion of the development program and satisfactory service. All appointments to this class shall be under terms of a development program and in accordance with a time schedule approved by the Commissioner of Administrative Services. All development programs must be approved by the Department of Administrative Services prior to appointment to this class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Please visit our Applicant Tips on How to Apply page.
- Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Liz Pinette at email@example.com.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for mastering the skills necessary to satisfactorily complete the training program for a professional accounting or auditing position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Receives training in introductory accounting or auditing work for development of skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement into a professional agency accounting or auditing position;
- Performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during the course of the training period;
- Examines financial records of governmental or private businesses and accounting methods and procedures to ensure compliance with statutes, regulations, guidelines or accepted accounting principles;
- May receive training in such areas as maintaining financial records and accounts, establishing financial statements and schedules, and preparing budget estimates;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of
- accounting and auditing principles and practices;
- business mathematics and statistics;
- business uses of information technology;
- effective report writing;
- Ability to
- read and understand written materials;
- utilize computer software.
Candidates must be able to meet the experience and training requirements of the designated job class at the completion of the development program.
- Experience using the full range of Microsoft Suite specifically: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet development including managing data, using formulas, exporting of data, developing charts/graphs and other advanced function.
- Experience with bookkeeping, financial record keeping and basic governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Experience communicating internally and externally with a diverse population both verbally and in written inquiries.
- Experience with QuickBooks and/or other accounting systems.
- Experience with auditing financial documents and understanding budgets.
- Experience with financial reconciliations.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.