Are you an experienced Registered Nurse?
Do you have a passion for shaping the next generation of healthcare professionals?
Join our team and make a lasting impact on the future of nursing!
The State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is currently seeking an experienced and qualified individual for the position of Nurse Clinical Instructor to join their team of dedicated professionals! See below for more on this exciting opportunity!
- FACILITY: Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH)
- LOCATION: Middletown, CT
- UNIT: Staff Development
- SCHEDULE: Full-time, 40 hours weekly, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- POSITION NUMBER: 24832
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- The opportunity to work
for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers
of 2023 - State of CT
Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive
Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- NEW: A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees
and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health
Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive
- Extensive pension plan and
supplemental retirement offerings
- Generous paid time off,
including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and
- A healthy work/life balance to all employees
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success
- Make a difference in the public sector
- Work together in a collaborative team environment
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY AND DIVISION:
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
CVH opened in 1868 as the State’s public hospital for the treatment of persons with mental illness. Today, CVH is the largest of DMHAS facilities, and includes 17 inpatient units over two campuses (Middletown and Hartford). The hospital includes both a general psychiatry and addiction services units. CVH provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient psychiatric care and substance abuse treatment, including treatment for pregnant women and persons with dual diagnoses. Specialty areas include geriatric and special services, an integrated network of comprehensive mental health services for older adults and young adult services. The facility also runs the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) program which addresses the needs of TBI survivors, including; reintegration into community living, independent living skills development, vocational and educational training, psychiatric, cognitive and neurological assessment and treatment, speech and physical rehabilitation as well as individual and family counseling.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Applicants for this position are required to have an active Registered Professional Nurse license to be considered. To verify if your Registered Professional Nurse license is valid, please click here.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state health care facility or institution this class is accountable for developing curricula and teaching the principles and practices of nursing and health related subjects to nursing personnel and interdisciplinary staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- In collaboration with interdisciplinary staff members participates in assessment of educational needs and requirements of staff and individuals by determining areas of deficiencies and considering government regulations;
- Participates in development of curricula;
- Conducts research to obtain most recent information about identified topic;
- Delivers curricula to targeted groups including instruction in theory and provision of clinical experience;
- Evaluates effectiveness of curricula through analyses of class participation, feedback and written tests;
- Participates in workshops designed for career advancement of nursing staff;
- Instructs staff of all levels in orientation and other programs;
- Supervises learning experiences of staff in programs;
- Acts as a role model to nursing and health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors;
- Participates in approved continuing education programs to enhance professional competence and shares this information with other staff members;
- Prepares and submits reports as required;
- Maintains records of those individuals participating in educational programs;
- Protects human and civil rights of individuals and staff;
- May participate on committees and in recruitment process;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- principles and practices of nursing in appropriate specialty serviced by agency;
- Knowledge of
- teaching, counseling and evaluation principles and techniques;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- develop curricula;
- identify the potential of applicants for health careers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in hospital or institutional nursing as a registered professional nurse.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- A Bachelor's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- A Master's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Suite
- Experience creating presentations, educating, and assessing learning in a health care setting
- Experience coordinating clinical rotation schedules
- Experience working with confidential information
- Experience working in a high paced environment
- Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license as a registered professional nurse in Connecticut.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.