Are you a current Department of Transportation employee looking to advance your career? If so, read below to learn more!
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR CDL TYPE, ISSUING AGENCY, LICENSE NUMBER, EXPIRATION DATE, AND ALL ENDORSEMENTS AND MEC EXPIRATION DATE ARE ADDED TO THE “LICENSES AND PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS” SECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
As a state employee, you would continue to have access to the following:
- Continue to work for a Forbes top company - ‘Forbes’: State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
A competitive starting salary
- Excellent state benefit package, including health and dental coverage
Generous paid time off
Retirement plan options
- A culture that encourages work-life balance
- Remain with an award winning agency! CT DOT has been recently awarded the Employer of the Year award by the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE)!
- Incumbent must be willing to commit to and accept assignment to emergency duties, including mandatory winter overtime (November 1 through April 30, whenever services are needed). Out of State vacations will not be approved during this time.
- Various storm events will require you to stay at work for the duration of the storm, which at times can be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
- Incumbent is required to hold residency within 30 miles of the job location.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to supply a copy of their Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A or B, with Tanker Endorsement and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC). Candidates who are unable to produce the required documents at the time of interview will be disqualified.
- Monday - Friday
- Full-time (40 hours per week)
- First shift (7:30 AM - 4:00 PM)
- Location: Westport, CT
The mission of the Connecticut Department of Transportation is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at email@example.com or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of
Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable
for acting as a working supervisor for an assigned group of Transportation
Maintainers and/or Qualified Craft Workers engaged in an area of transportation
maintenance or closely related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and
determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work;
establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and
assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as
liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit
policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may
prepare reports and correspondence; requisitions materials and equipment
appropriate to the various jobs; participates in performing the duties of the
crew; may do preliminary site inspection of assigned jobs; may be required to
stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at
State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of tree and shrub planting and
maintenance; skill in climbing and cutting trees; interpersonal skills; oral
and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of skilled experience in the
maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth.
Note: For State Employees the General Experience
will be interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
- Experience leading a crew of employees engaged in highway maintenance, construction or tree related duties
- Experience planning and assigning maintenance operations and tree work to a crew of employees
- Experience leading a crew of employees during snow and ice operations
1. Incumbents in this
class will be required to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow
and ice removal as required.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to
possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
3. Appointment and retention is contingent on satisfactory completion of a
proficiency test or tests administered by the department.
At State Airports: In
addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application,
a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before
persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this
class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and
visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be
able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this
class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of
heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including
exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and
allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal
program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during
employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective
equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.