Are you looking for an opportunity to join the largest high school system in the state? Then look no further than this chance to joint the State of Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CETCS) as a Custodian!
What We Have To Offer!
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Outstanding work-life balance
We are currently accepting applications for multiple Custodian positions that could be located at any of our 20 locations across the state. This includes:
- A.I. Prince Technical High School, Hartford
- Bristol Technical Education Center, Bristol
- Bullard-Havens Technical High School, Bridgeport
- CT Aero Tech School for Aviation Maintenance Technicians (adult learners only), Hartford
- E.C. Goodwin Technical High School, New Britain
- Eli Whitney Technical High School, Hamden
- Ella T. Grasso Technical High School, Groton
- Emmett O’Brien Technical High School, Ansonia
- H.C. Wilcox Technical High School, Meriden
- Harvard H. Ellis Technical High School, Danielson (Killingly)
- Henry Abbott Technical High School, Danbury
- Howell Cheney Technical High School, Manchester
- J.M. Wright Technical High School, Stamford
- Norwich Technical High School, Norwich
- Oliver Wolcott Technical High School, Torrington
- Platt Technical High School, Milford
- Stratford School for Aviation Maintenance Technicians (adult learners only), Stratford
- Vinal Technical High School, Middletown
- W.F. Kaynor Technical High School, Waterbury
- Windham Technical High School, Willimantic (Windham)
These opportunities may be on first or second shift. Full-time opportunities will have standard work weeks of 37.5 hours/week in 5 consecutive days, with regularly established starting and ending times. Part-time opportunities will be either 20, 30, or 32.5 hours per week and will have standard work weeks, with regularly established starting and ending times. Some examples of full-time and part-time schedules are:
- Full-time, First shift, 6:00 AM - 2:00 PM or 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Full-time, Second shift, 2:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Full-time, First shift 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM while school is not in session, and Second shift 2:30 PM - 10:30 PM while school is in session
- Part-time, First shift, 6:00 AM - 1:00 PM or 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Part-time, Second shift, 2:30 PM - 9:30 PM
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL: Perform all custodial tasks throughout high school including, but not limited to, sweeping, mopping, dusting, stripping and waxing floors; collecting and disposing of all trash and recycling in to the appropriate containers; using proper custodial equipment to polish floors and shampoo carpets; cleaning all classrooms and non-student areas, including windows and vents.
WHO WE ARE
CTECS is the largest high school system in Connecticut, serving all geographic regions and all demographic and diverse populations. We currently operate 17 diploma-granting technical high schools, one technical education center and two airframe mechanics and aircraft maintenance programs located throughout the state.
*New State Employees start at the minimum of the salary range.
You will experience the opportunity to make a difference in the public sector as a Custodian for the State of Connecticut! We encourage you to apply today!
- Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualifications, as listed on the job opening, will be considered for this role, as determined by qualifications stated on the submitted application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Please select all towns and shift(s) in which you are willing to work on your application. Failure to indicate the shift(s) may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific shift/town.
- The CTEC may have a need to post a job opening for a more ‘specific’ Custodian position geared towards CTEC's specific position(s). Those types of Custodian job openings on JobAps will NOT use applications from this recruitment pool. You must apply to those postings in order to be considered for appointment to those specific position(s). We encourage you to apply to each Custodian posting you are interested in. Please sign up for Interest Cards to be notified when Custodian recruitments are posted.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
AFTER YOU APPLY:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: The CTEC may have a need to post a job opening for a more ‘specific’ Custodian position geared towards CTEC's specific position(s). Those types of Custodian job openings on JobAps will NOT use applications from this recruitment pool. You must apply to those postings in order to be considered for appointment to those specific position(s). We encourage you to apply to each Custodian posting you are interested in. Please sign up for Interest Cards to be notified when Custodian recruitments are posted.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
CONNECT WITH US:
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the cleaning and maintenance of buildings.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs custodial tasks and maintenance of areas such as dormitories, classrooms, offices, auditoriums, wards, kitchens, dining rooms and lavatories including outdoor areas (i.e. trash around buildings); dusts, mops, sweeps, scrubs, strips, waxes and polishes floors using appropriate equipment such as floor polishers and buffers; washes, dusts and polishes glass including windows, woodwork, walls, furniture and metal equipment; makes beds; checks, marks, stores and issues linens, blankets, and clothing (limited to individual’s work area not to include counting and inspection for a larger area); collects and counts soiled laundry; distributes, empties and sterilizes glassware, wash basins and bedpans; sweeps walks; collects and disposes of trash; reports needs for repairs; performs minor maintenance; runs errands; inspects buildings for damage and reports conditions to supervisor; may change light bulbs and replace fuses; may lubricate or tighten door hinges, drawers, cabinets, etc.; may replace ceiling or floor tiles; may remove snow and ice from stairways and walkways around buildings; may sand and salt stairways and walkways; may move furniture and/or set-up classrooms; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple record keeping.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience performing custodial work in a school
- Experience waxing and polishing floors using floor polishers and buffers
- Experience moving furniture in a school and setting up classrooms
- Experience removing snow and ice from stairways and walkways around school buildings
- Experience performing minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work
- Experience with deep cleaning and disinfecting large facilities
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits, and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.