Are you looking to Make Your ImpaCT in public service?
The State of Connecticut
, Office of Health Strategy (OHS) is seeking a qualified individual to serve on our team as a Research Analyst. This position helps to support our office in our use of data and healthcare analysis. See below for additional information on this great opportunity!
There are opportunities for an alternate work schedule and working remotely in accordance with State policies.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive comprehensive benefits plan that includes:
- Industry leading health benefits with medical and dental coverage
- Generous paid time off, include 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- A healthy work/life balance!
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Developing statistical and advanced data analyses and reports to inform and support policy
- Creating web-based dashboards, visualizations, infographics, and other price transparency tools to support healthcare policy and consumer decision-making
- Supporting execution of a data use strategy and other evaluative activities for the healthcare benchmark initiative
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY AND FACILITIES:
The mission of the Office of Health Strategy (OHS) is to implement comprehensive, data-driven strategies that promote equal access to healthcare, control costs and ensure better health for the people of Connecticut. OHS consists of three teams: Health Systems Planning, Health Innovation and Health Information Technology.
OHS is a mission driven state agency within the Governor-led executive branch of Connecticut state government. The mission of the State of Connecticut Office of Health Strategy (OHS) is to implement comprehensive, data-driven strategies that promote equal access to healthcare, control costs and ensure better health outcomes for the people of Connecticut. OHS is currently recruiting a Research Analyst to provide insight, analyses, dashboards, and visualizations of healthcare clinical, financial and claims data to inform and evaluate policy under the direction of the Health Information Technology Officer and data team lead. OHS’s big data trove includes health care claims comprising over one billion records, inpatient discharge data of about 400,000 per year from 1991 to date, statewide outpatient surgery and emergency room encounter occurring over the last ten years, including hospital financial data.
We are a small state agency, but we have an influential role shaping the future of health care in CT. Come join our team!
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, 860-924-7053.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in research design and implementation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Develops and implements formal research projects and assists in these activities on more comprehensive and complex research assignments;
- Analyzes, interprets and prepares data in a variety of ways;
- Prepares narrative and statistical reports;
- Develops computerized databases and analyzes and interprets computer generated reports;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of
- research methods and techniques;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- analyze data;
- develop programs and use prepackaged computer programs to perform data analysis;
- understand agency related policies and procedures as they relate to research.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of professional experience in research, data analysis or economics.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training may be
substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester
hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4)
years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in
economics, statistics or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1)
additional year of the General Experience.
- Successful completion of a
Connecticut Careers Trainee program approved by the Department of
Administrative Services may be substituted for the General Experience.
- Experience in analyzing large datasets.
- Experience in using statistical and computer programming tools, such as SQL, SAS, R or SPSS.
- Experience in data analysis and visualization abilities utilizing software tools such as Power BI or Tableau to create dashboards and reports.
- Experience in patient or claims data collection, processing, and validation.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196
of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of
positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single
title for administrative purposes. As
such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or