Attention outdoor enthusiasts with experience in hunting and firearms safety:
The Glastonbury Public Shooting Range is located in the Meshomasic State Forest in Glastonbury and has been in operation since 1980. The shooting range is open to public use through November by reservation through the Online Sportsmen Licensing System.
Seasonal Range Safety Officers (SRSO) will be required to supervise and assist the public at the Glastonbury Public Shooting Range in accordance with DEEP range standard operation procedures (SOPs). SRSO’s will write and submit range reports in addition to maintaining range facilities, and operate as part of a team of Range Safety Officers. Candidates must have broad experience with a wide variety of firearms, including rifles, shotguns and handguns. Positions run through November 26, 2023.
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs – and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
For technical support regarding the filing of your application in JobAps, please contact Benjamin Beaudry at Benjamin.Beaudry@ct.gov.
Any inquiries regarding the status of your application for these positions must be made directly to Thomas Donlon at 860-424-3033 or Thomas.F.Donlon@ct.gov.
IMPORTANT SELECTIONS INFORMATION
- Prior experience (police, military, or private club) as a firearms instructor or range officer.
- Possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
- Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
- Complete a Master Application and directly apply to this recruitment.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOU APPLY
- The recruitment process may take several months. Due to volume, we are unable to give individual application updates. We encourage applicants to review their application status via their Personal Status Board on JobAps.
- Please regularly check your email for notifications (be sure to check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.)
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Loads and unloads supplies; collects and disposes of waste material; assists employees of higher grade; plants, transplants, cuts or trims trees; drives a motor vehicle or other power equipment; maintains campsites and grounds; assists in the maintenance of farm plots; performs first aid duties; performs landscaping and snow removal duties; sells tickets and collects money; performs firefighting duties; works as a deckhand on a boat; works as a seasonal supervisor of a recreational unit; performs a full range of lifeguard services at agency swimming areas; performs technical duties in connection with a pollution control program; performs duties under the direction of a research assistant in the field or laboratory; assists in fish culture and stocking activities; assists in conducting surveys and experiments in the field and forests; performs a variety of entry level clerical duties; performs lower level/general maintenance duties; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
- Directly supervise visitors and enforce all DEEP range operating rules and standard operating procedures;
- Conduct range safety briefings for shooters;
- Conduct registration; maintain required records; and verify credentials of shooter;.
- Maintain range facilities in a clean and orderly manner;
- Restrict entry for any unauthorized persons;
- Conduct live-firing sequence and order cease fire for unsafe conditions or as needed;
- Complete Range Inspection checklist;
- Write and submit reports on range usage, issues, and incidents;
- Transport range equipment and maintain inventory of supplies;
- Assist shooters with resolving malfunctions with a wide variety of firearms and ammunition;
- Provide guidance to shooters as requested or when required.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.