Are you looking to
help preserve Connecticut’s Candlewood Lake? If so, we have a terrific seasonal
opportunity for you!
Positions Include: (see details under Examples of Duties)
- Primary Boat Captain: Performs pumpouts to boats on Candlewood Lake.
- Part-time Operators/mates of the boat: Assist with pumpouts to boats on Candlewood Lake.
Schedule: Boat operation is from 9am-5pm on weekends and holidays from Memorial Day Weekend through Columbus Day. Staff may work up to 40 hours per week.
Anticipated Duration: Six months from date of hire. Memorial Day Weekend through Columbus Day; maximum of 1,030 hours.
Salary: Depends on relevant education and/or experience. There are no benefits with this position.
For technical support regarding the filing of your application in JobAps, please contact Nicholas Naples at Nicholas.Naples@ct.gov.
Any inquiries regarding the status of your application for this division's positions must be made directly to the individual division: Jacob Budris at Jacob.firstname.lastname@example.org.
CT DEEP encourages you to consider applying for seasonal opportunities at alternate locations as your application is under review.
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs – and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
ABOUT DEEP'S BUREAU OF OUTDOOR RECREATION
Connecticut’s system of state parks and forests, state boat launches, and waterways, provide many opportunities for outdoor recreation for residents and visitors alike. These range from camping and fishing to hiking, boating, and picnicking.
Please watch this video below to learn more:
This is a non-competitive recruitment, open to the public. Candidates must be able to work outside during summer months and have a valid driver’s license and current boating certificate. Candidates are required to work weekends and holidays. Knowledge of boating in Candlewood Lake is a plus.
IMPORTANT SELECTIONS INFORMATION
- Applicants must be comfortable with conducting independent field work, must have a valid driver’s license and must be able to communicate effectively with marina owners and dock staff.
- Selected candidates must be fluent in English and be at least 16 years old or 18 years old, depending on the position.
- Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
- Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
- Complete a Master Application and directly apply to this recruitment.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOU APPLY
- The recruitment process may take several months. Due to volume, we are unable to give individual application updates. We encourage applicants to review their application status via their Personal Status Board on JobAps.
- Please regularly check your email for notifications (be sure to check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.)
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Pumpout Boat Operator/Mate:
- Performs pumpouts to boats on Candlewood Lake;
- Keep log of pumpouts performed;
- Ensure boat is kept in proper working order;
- General vessel maintenance, cleaning and sanitizing;
- Distribution of CVA Pumpout Program promotional items to boaters from the vessel;
- Assisting with DEEP Boating Division public outreach events, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
- Preferred applicants will be able to work full-time for the entire recreation season and have related experience or training.
Must have CT or
reciprocal state boating certificate.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.