Are you looking to help your state in a time of need?
If so, come Make an ImpaCT by serving your state!
Read below and apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is currently accepting applications for multiple Nurse positions within Connecticut Mental Health Center (CMHC). We are seeking dedicated and compassionate individuals to join our direct-care team to improve the well-being for our clients/patients.
- Schedule: All positions are full-time, 40 hours weekly with the following shifts and rotating schedules:
- Clinical Neuroscience Research Unit, First Shift (7:30 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.), every other weekend and holidays
- Inpatient Division 4th Floor, Second Shift (3:30 P.M. - 12:00 A.M), every other weekend and holidays
- Inpatient Division 4th Floor, Third Shift (11:30 P.M. - 8 A.M.), every other weekend and holidays
- Address: 34 Park Street, New Haven, CT
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule;
- Comprehensive benefits plan that includes industry leading health benefits with medical and dental coverage;
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Hazardous duty pension plan (State Employees Retirement System Tier IV);
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Professional growth and development opportunities; and
- Outstanding work-life balance!
IN ADDITION, DMHAS is a loan forgiveness organization, you may be able to qualify for one or more State or Federal loan forgiveness programs.
FOR SECOND AND THIRD SHIFT POSITIONS - YOU MAY BE APPROVED FOR AN ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION BONUS:
- Each Registered Nurse who is permanently assigned to the second or third shift shall receive a “recruitment and retention” yearly bonus of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00).
- This bonus shall be pro-rated for part-time Registered Nurses.
- In order to be eligible for this bonus, the Employee must have completed one year of service in the registered nurse classification.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals;
- Provide support that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve;
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL:
CMHC is an urban community mental health center with an exceptional 50-year tradition of serving individuals with serious mental illness and/or addiction. Founded in 1966, CMHC is a partnership between DHMAS and the Yale Department of Psychiatry. CMHC is nationally recognized for its scientific research into the causes and treatment of mental illness and addiction. The Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities include multiple research programs in a variety of areas. CMHC is also a major training site for individuals pursuing careers in mental health fields including psychiatry, psychology, social work, nursing and pastoral care.
We welcome you to be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals and assist our clients/patients so they can achieve success. You will experience the opportunity to make a difference in the public sector as well as Make an ImpaCT as a Registered Professional Nurse for the State of Connecticut! We encourage you to apply today!
Watch the video below to hear why our Nurses love working with the State of Connecticut!
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
FOR THOSE WHO HOLD A RN LICENSE IN A STATE OTHER THAN CONNECTICUT AND WISH TO APPLY FOR A CONNECTICUT LICENSE, PLEASE:
- Review the eligibility and documentation requirements for CT license by endorsement of an out-of-state license;
- Complete a CT DPH online application online (expand the ‘Public Health Practitioners’ grouping, select ‘Registered Nurse’ and then ‘Start’;
- Request verification of your out-of-state license(s) electronically through the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s : Nursys® System. To send verification of your license(s) to CT, read and agree to the terms, enter your biographic information, select your license type and select ‘SEARCH’. Review the results and select the ‘Next’ button. Check the box next to ‘Connecticut’ and complete the transaction. Once the transaction is completed, you will receive a confirmation email from Nursys and the verification will be available to the DPH. Note that PA and MI verifications are not provided through Nursys. Please contact those state boards for information on obtaining verification.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- Please select all shift(s) in which you are willing to work on your application. Failure to indicate the shift(s) may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific shift.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
IMPORTANT NEXT STEP INFORMATION AFTER YOU APPLY:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
CONNECT WITH US:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Nicole Frascatore via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing a full range of professional nursing care.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Independently implements the nursing process with individuals including carrying out physicians orders regarding diet, medication and treatment; performs assessments; changes dressings; monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation; reports on physiological and mental health status of individuals; documents nursing interventions on medical records; distributes and maintains records of controlled drugs and insures their security; maintains records and makes reports; makes decisions in routine cases; instructs individuals, staff and family members regarding treatments, nursing plans and related individual care issues directed towards an awareness and understanding of health/mental health issues; responds to emergencies; maintains availability of medications and supplies; ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment; may participate as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team in the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of individuals treatment or health/mental health care plans; may formulate and implement nursing care plans; may participate in outpatient clinics and assist in physical examinations; may administer routine tests; may conduct training; may delegate nursing tasks consistent with established protocols; may participate in psychotherapeutic and rehabilitation interventions; may physically restrain individuals; may provide related medical or mental health specialty services; may serve as Qualified Intellectual Disability Professional; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply professional nursing theory, practice and ethics; knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of medical, therapeutic and psychiatric nursing interventions and methods; knowledge of and ability to apply quality standards, procedures and protocols; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic difference; knowledge of and ability to apply clinical therapeutic models of individual care with emphasis on interdisciplinary team approach; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; ability to learn specialized individual care applicable to work assignment; ability to listen and provide empathetic assistance to individuals and families in meeting their needs and carrying out prescribed treatments; ability to develop therapeutic relationships with individuals, and their caregivers; ability to respond to emergencies; ability to respond to and seek supervision; ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; ability to analyze and evaluate proper care and treatment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals; may have exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.