Are you a Licensed Practical Nurse? Are you looking to start your career in State Service? If so, we invite you to apply to join our team today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Developmental Services (DDS) North Region – is accepting applications for one (1) License Practical Nurse position at the Hartford Regional Center in Newington, CT.
- 2nd Shift
- 70 Hours/biweekly
- Week 1 (38.5 Hours): Saturday, Sunday & Thursday 2:30 pm – 11:00 pm; Monday 2:30 pm – 10:00 pm; Tuesday 2:30 pm – 10:30 pm; Off Friday & Wednesday.
- Week 2 (31.5 Hours): Friday 2:30 pm – 10:30 pm; Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday 2:30 pm – 11:00 pm; Off Saturday & Monday
- Must be flexible to meet the needs of the agency
- Will be required to travel
Comprehensive Benefit Offerings:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Paid time off – including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities.
- A healthy work-life balance!
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked one of the best Employers of 2023 – State of CT receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule.
In your role as a Licensed Practical Nurse, you will have the opportunity to:
- Assist doctors and nurses in the general care and treatment of individuals;
- Measure doses and administer medication including insulin injections;
- Document medications using appropriate forms;
- Perform narcotic counts;
- Check and may administer intravenous medications;
- Report changes in individuals to doctors;
- Transcribe doctors medication orders;
- Perform simple nursing treatments;
- Monitor general individual needs including personal hygiene;
- Report on individual conditions and behavior;
- Perform related duties as required;
DDS Mission Statement:
The mission of the Department of Developmental Servicers is to partner with the individuals we support and their families, to support lifelong planning and to join with others to create and promote meaningful opportunities for individuals to fully participate as valued members of their communities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion, and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applications may be considered.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
- If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Tommy Wilson, EEO Specialist 1 at (860) 418 – 6148 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Rocky Young at email@example.com and reference the recruitment number.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state facility, this class is accountable for rendering bedside care or mental health services to individuals with physical and/or intellectual disabilities in instances where the services of a registered nurse are not required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists doctors and nurses in the general care and treatment of individuals; measures doses and administers medications including insulin injections; documents medications using appropriate forms; performs narcotic counts; checks and may administer intravenous medications; reports changes in individuals to doctors; ensures that restraints are applied correctly; transcribes doctors medication orders; dispenses certain medications in doctor’s absence; applies topical medication; takes and charts temperatures, pulses and respirations; performs simple nursing treatments; monitors general individual needs including personal hygiene; reports on individual conditions and behavior; keeps the unit safe and healthy; administers enemas or suppositories; performs Foley catheterization care; orients individuals concerning medications and their use; may perform emergency first aid; may drive individuals to necessary appointments/outings; performs related duties as required.
DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES: performs the full range of duties as described in the class specification for the Lead Developmental Services Worker.
DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTION SERVICES: performs the full range of duties as described in class specifications for the Mental Health Assistant 1 or Mental Health Assistant 2.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of practical nursing specialties and bedside care; knowledge of various medications used in conjunction for the care of individuals who have physical and/or intellectual disabilities; knowledge of infection control practices; some knowledge of nutrition and diets; basic knowledge of medical and lab sciences; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to keep records; some ability to lead staff.
License or temporary permit to practice nursing in Connecticut by the State Board of Examiners for Nursing.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience providing nursing services to individuals with intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities.
- Experience working with individuals with intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities.
- Experience communicating with non-verbal individuals.
- Experience with basic nursing skills including, but not limited to: administering medication and nutrition via G-Tube or J-Tube; glucose monitoring, insulin administration; respiratory treatments, colostomy; cecostomy; urostomy care; wound care; and catheterization.
- Experience supporting individuals that may exhibit mild to severe challenging behaviors.
- Experience communicating internally and externally with team members and community providers both over the telephone and in written inquiries.
- Experience using Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Excel, Teams, and Word.
DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES: Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator's license, Public Passenger Endorsement or Commercial Driver's license for designated positions.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift/restrain individuals; may have some exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and to some risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.