The State of Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) is seeking a qualified Cook to support our veterans and skilled nursing facility.
- Location: Rocky Hill, CT
- Hours: Full time (37.5 Hours), 1st Shift
- Schedule: Two schedule options are available:
- Schedule A: Wednesday - Sunday, 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Schedule B: Friday - Tuesday, 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive comprehensive benefits plan that includes:
- To work for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- Industry leading health benefits with medical and dental coverage;
- Generous paid time off, include 13 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Professional growth and development opportunities; and
- A healthy work/life balance!
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Engage in a rewarding career
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success
- Make a difference in the public sector
- Work together in a collaborative team environment
For over 140 years the State of Connecticut DVA has been caring for its veterans and their dependents. As a Department, we believe in "serving those who have served." This is accomplished through our: Office of Advocacy and Assistance, Residential Facility, Healthcare Center, and Cemetery and Burial Services.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID 19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks involved in preparing and cooking food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares and cooks a wide variety of foods including special diets; operates various types of cooking equipment such as stoves, ovens, steam cookers, mixing machines, choppers, etc.; cleans kitchen areas and equipment; rotates stock on a regular basis; assists with the ordering of food and supplies; inspects food received; may serve food or assist in serving; may prepare production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply cooking principles and techniques on a quantity basis; knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some knowledge of health and safety requirements in food service; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; some ability to utilize computer software; some ability in menu preparation and record keeping; some mathematical ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the preparation of food on a quantity basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Successful completion of a cook training course under the auspices of State or Federal Apprentice Training Bureaus may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Experience in preparation and serving daily meals in a large scale institutional setting
- Experience using institutional food service equipment
- Experience following food safety and sanitation guidelines and procedures
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.