Are you are you interested in a career that you are passionate about and receive personal fulfillment while making a difference, then we invite you to take this opportunity to be a part of our team!
At the State of Connecticut, Department of Developmental Services (DDS) we are currently seeking qualified individuals to join our team as a Nurse.
What We Have To Offer!
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Outstanding work-life balance
Your role as a Nurse with DDS
You would be entrusted to perform a full range of nursing duties, including:
- Independently implementing the nursing process
- Performing assessments
- Maintain detailed records of medical interventions, medications administered, etc.
- Full-time, first shift, 35 hours per week
- Location: Waterford Office, public
- Week 1 Sunday through Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm
- Week 2: Sunday through Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm
- Incumbents in this class will be required to travel
- Incumbents in this class must possess a current license as a Registered Nurse in CT
We hope you take this opportunity to join our team and make a difference!
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the state of Connecticut.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID 19 Vaccination Immunization.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
During the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the agency.
If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Jennifer Borenski, EEO Specialist 2 at (860) 418-6143 or Jennifer.Borenski@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
FOR THOSE WHO HOLD A RN LICENSE IN A STATE OTHER THAN CONNECTICUT AND WISH TO APPLY FOR A CONNECTICUT LICENSE, PLEASE:
- Review the eligibility and documentation requirements for CT license by endorsement of an out-of-state license;
- Complete a CT DPH online application online (expand the ‘Public Health Practitioners’ grouping, select ‘Registered Nurse’ and then ‘Start’;
- Request verification of your out-of-state license(s) electronically through the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s : Nursys® System. To send verification of your license(s) to CT, read and agree to the terms, enter your biographic information, select your license type and select ‘SEARCH’. Review the results and select the ‘Next’ button. Check the box next to ‘Connecticut’ and complete the transaction. Once the transaction is completed, you will receive a confirmation email from Nursys and the verification will be available to the DPH. Note that PA and MI verifications are not provided through Nursys. Please contact those state boards for information on obtaining verification.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing a full range of professional nursing care.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Registered Nurses (RN) are required to provide coordination of all medical services necessary to meet the health and safety needs of individuals living there. This position requires the RN to provide ongoing training for Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN’s) and non-licensed medication certified staff as required by state and Federal regulation. The RN also provides clinical oversight of LPNs who provide direct nursing care to very medically involved individuals. These individuals may have extensive medical and psychiatric needs. Per the CT Nurse Practice Act, LPN’s must work under the direction of an RN at all times. The RN disseminates medical guidelines or recommendations distributed by the Department of Public Health, Department of Social Services and DDS and is a liaison nurse for any consumer admitted to a hospital or rehabilitation facility as required by federal regulation. Additional information can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply professional nursing theory, practice and ethics; knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of medical, therapeutic and psychiatric nursing interventions and methods; knowledge of and ability to apply quality standards, procedures and protocols; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic difference; knowledge of and ability to apply clinical therapeutic models of individual care with emphasis on interdisciplinary team approach; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; ability to learn specialized individual care applicable to work assignment; ability to listen and provide empathetic assistance to individuals and families in meeting their needs and carrying out prescribed treatments; ability to develop therapeutic relationships with individuals, and their caregivers; ability to respond to emergencies; ability to respond to and seek supervision; ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; ability to analyze and evaluate proper care and treatment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess:
- Experience working with individuals with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities
- Experience with basic nursing skills to include but not limited to: providing medication and nutrition via G-tube or J-tube, diabetic care, respiratory treatments, colostomy, cecostomy, and urostomy care, wound care, and catheterization
- Experience following current infection control practices
- Experience using Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Teams, Word, and Excel
- Experience communicating with individuals from varying backgrounds and skill levels
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.