Do you have experience providing secretarial support?
If so, we encourage you to apply!
The State of Connecticut, Connecticut Insurance Department (CID), is now accepting applications for a Secretary 1 in Hartford, CT! This role will provide clerical support as well as be responsible for management of all documents for our consumer facing division.
As a Secretary 1 we can offer you:
- A hybrid telework schedule
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Competitive starting salary and structure
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off - including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities
- Culture that encourages a healthy work-life balance to all employees!
- Work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule.
Who We Are
Our mission at the Connecticut Insurance Department (CID) is consumer protection. The department carries out its mission by enforcing state insurance laws to ensure policyholders are treated fairly, by providing assistance, outreach, and education to help consumers make sound choices, and by regulating the industry in a fair and consistent manner that fosters market competition for the availability of insurance.
- Full-time, 40 hours per week
- Monday through Friday schedule
- First shift hours, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Hybrid role-in-office and telework
- Located at 153 Market Street in Downtown Hartford, easily accessible for all commuters
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of secretarial support functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of secretarial duties as described in the following areas:
- Using computers, tablets, and other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.;
- Proofreads for content;
- Edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Designs office filing systems;
- Organizes and maintains files (including confidential files);
- Maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
- Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g., standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
- REPORT WRITING:
- Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g., number of forms processed during the month).
- Greets and directs visitors;
- Answers phones and takes messages;
- Answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g., appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
- Scans correspondence;
- Pulls and attaches related materials;
- Reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
- Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment);
- Writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft;
- Takes notes and/or meeting minutes;
- Prepares expense accounts;
- Makes travel arrangements.
- OFFICE MANAGEMENT:
- Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment;
- Orders supplies when necessary;
- Completes, processes, and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g., orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.);
- Maintains time and attendance records;
Performs related duties as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- office systems and procedures;
- proper grammar, punctuation and spelling;
- Knowledge of business communications;
- Some knowledge of business math;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- schedule and prioritize office workflow;
- operate office equipment which includes computers, tablets, and other electronic equipment;
- operate office suite software;
- take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to the supervisor).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience.
- Experience composing letters and memoranda.
- Experience with Microsoft office products as well as other computer applications.
- Experience with providing clerical support to a consumer-facing agency.
- Experience processing information and utilizing a scanner for document retention.
- Experience in organizing and prioritizing tasks with competing deadlines.
- Experience communicating with internal and external customers via written and oral communication.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.