Are you passionate about serving the children and families of CT in need? If so, we invite you to discover this outstanding opportunity!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families (DCF) is recruiting for Social Worker Trainee vacancies. Our mission is partnering with communities and empowering families to raise resilient children who thrive; sharpening the safety focus through prevention across the child welfare system. We are seeking individuals who are looking to advance their career and make a difference.
Work locations will be in offices located in the following Regions:
- Region 1: Bridgeport and Norwalk
- Region 2: Milford and New Haven
- Region 3: Middletown, Norwich and Willimantic (Please note: Willimantic is part of Windham County)
- Region 4: Hartford and Manchester
- Region 5: Danbury, Torrington and Waterbury
- Region 6: New Britain and Meriden
Applicants selected for hire should expect to be assigned to one of the above listed offices.
What's In It For You:
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule;
- State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off and a healthy work-life balance.
Do you have:
- Not all applicants will be contacted for an interview and you are encouraged to apply for future postings.
If so we encourage you to apply for any of our Future Social Worker recruitments!
- A Master's degree in social work or a closely related field and one (1) year of experience in the self-directed use of case management techniques and counseling to sustain or restore client functioning OR
- A Bachelor's degree in social work or a closely related field and two (2) years of experience in the self-directed use of case management techniques and counseling to sustain or restore client functioning.
You can learn more about working for our state here and by checking out our latest YouTube video to see what it is like to work at Department of Children and Families:
1. Application Process:
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the state of Connecticut.
2. Selection Process:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID 19 Vaccination Immunization.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
During the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the agency.
3. First Stage of Interview process:
Selected candidates are contacted by the Department Children and Families Human Resources team members for the to collect information and schedule you for interview. Candidates will be asked to supply:
- Unofficial transcripts for degrees listed on application
- 2 Written Supervisory References
Selected candidates will have a panel interview with DCF Regional staff.
4. Second Stage of Interview:
They will also meet with DCF Academy for Workforce Development to learn more about the role and responsibilities of a Social Worker and will receive a writing assessment.
5. Background Investigation:
Selected candidates will go through a comprehensive review of employment, education, criminal, motor vehicle history and a physical examination (including drug screening).
Selected candidates are scheduled for their first day of work!
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency or institution this class is accountable for receiving intensive training in the provision of social case work services to individuals and families.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives training in agency social work procedures, personnel policies, program guidelines and legal reporting requirements; receives training in and is given progressively complex assignments involving utilization of interviewing techniques required to assess client needs, elicit information and establish community referral sources; provides basic counseling services to a limited number of clients enrolled in departmental programs, inmates or patients in residence or families of clients receiving services; prepares initial treatment plans, psychosocial evaluation, case histories and other case records as components of a small assigned caseload; refers clients, patients and family members for community or social services, medical or psychological services or housing, financial and employment assistance; motivates clients to increase ability to understand and cope with problems, frustration and anxiety; performs a greater number of specific and complex social work duties and maintains a larger caseload as skills are acquired during training program; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of reciprocal relationship between individuals and their social, economic and cultural environment; basic knowledge of human social behavior; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to relate to different cultural and economic backgrounds; ability to organize time, set priorities and manage workload.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's or Master's degree in social work or a closely related field.
Note: Closely related fields are: applied sociology, child development, child welfare, clinical psychology, counseling, human development and family studies, human service, marriage and family therapy, nursing, social and/or human services, education and criminal justice.
1. Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are completed.
2. DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES: Incumbents in this class are required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
3. OTHER AGENCIES: Incumbents may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License
4. COMMISSION ON THE DEAF AND HEARING IMPAIRED: Incumbents in this class must be able to communicate fluently in American Sign Language.
5. Incumbents in this class may be required to speak a foreign language.
6. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.