The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals, for Transportation Technician Trainee positions, available in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Material Evaluation and Specification Unit (MESU), located at the Rocky Hill Lab.
Comprehensive Benefit Offerings:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Paid time off - including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities.
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees.
- Full-time, 40 hours per week
- First shift, Monday through Friday
- Location: 280 West Street, Rocky Hill, CT
The Transportation Technician Trainee positions assist the MESU’s Material Technician III’s and Transportation Engineers regarding inspection and testing of materials and structures used in the construction of transportation facilities. Additional duties include:
- Inspection and/or testing
- Related duties for Hot Mix Asphalt, Portland Cement Concrete, Precast Concrete Elements, Structural Steel, Soils and Aggregates, and their components
- Performs related duties as required
PROMOTION: Incumbents in this class will be eligible for promotion, to the Transportation Technician, upon successful completion of the one (1) year training program.
At DOT, our mission is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. Learn more about our mission, vision, and values, here!
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used to fill future vacancies in the Bureau of Public Transporation, in the next (12) months.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees, which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Sharon McIntosh at Sharon.McIntosh@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for receiving on-the-job training in performing basic technical work in support of transportation projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic construction methods and materials; skill in use of construction related equipment and instruments and computer applications; ability in performing mathematical computations; ability to create, read and interpret scales, diagrams, plans, specifications and drawings; ability to prepare accurate drawings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience involving the inspection of transportation construction projects; or testing of transportation materials; or bridge safety inspection.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Construction Management, Engineering Technology, Construction Technology, Civil Engineering Technology or closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years for an Associate's degree.
2. Possession of at least Level II certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the General Experience:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Construction Inspection or Bridge Safety Inspection.
- Computer ability with accessing and using computer networks
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, creating spreadsheets,
inputting data, and creating graphs
- Experience in performing mathematical computations
- Knowledge and experience with construction project management
software applications, such as AASHTOware Construction and Materials, or
- Interpersonal skills to communicate orally and in writing,
with outside entities, such as consultant inspectors, contractors, and
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.