Do you want to make a difference while participating in a dynamic and reciprocal health care environment in the public sector?
If so, we have an amazing opportunity for you to join our hospital's team!
- FACILITY: Office of the Commissioner
- LOCATION: Safety Services Division at Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH)
- ADDRESS: 1000 Silver Street, Middletown, CT
- SCHEDULE: Full-Time, 40 hours weekly, third shift, 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m., every other weekend off
- POSITION NUMBER: 24346
IN IT FOR YOU - Comprehensive
Benefits which include:
- Industry leading health
benefits, inclAuding medical and dental coverage;
- Extensive pension plan and
supplemental retirement offerings;
- Retirement healthcare
- Accrued vacation, personal and sick leave;
- 13 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Professional growth and development
- Outstanding work-life balance!
AS A TELECOMMUNICATIONS DISPATCHER YOU WILL:
Provide dispatch, communications, and support services to police, fire, emergency medical services, and business functions of the facility/campus. You will also monitor closed-circuit television equipment (CCTV), fire alarm panels, intrusion alarms, etc. These services are linked to public safety and security, compliance with the Joint CommisIsion on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) accreditation and other regulatory entities, i.e., Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA)/Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Be a member of a vibrant communications team who provides high quality services to our population;
- Build relationships with other personnel and get the job done effectively;
- Utilize your skills and knowledge to enhance department functions; and
- Learn and monitor various telecommunication systems.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Doreen Clemson at Doreen.Clemson@ct.gov or 860-785-9855.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
At the Connecticut State University System, Department of Mental Health and Addictions Services, Connecticut Valley Hospital and the University of Connecticut Health Center this class is accountable for providing a communications link between agency units and/or divisions, other public safety agencies and the public.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives, transmits and relays police, fire, medical and other emergency information to and from appropriate personnel; provides appropriate dispatch responses to calls such as: traffic accidents and injuries on state property and police, fire and medical emergencies; determines and evaluates emergency or non-emergency situations, prioritizes and takes appropriate action including interpreting and relaying information to offsite personnel; operates communications equipment such as: computer, radio, telephone and related communications equipment; operates computer assisted dispatch (CAD), National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and Connecticut On-Line Law Enforcement Communications Teleprocessing (COLLECT) systems; operates VOTER system to determine radio transmission capability; monitors various cameras and alarm systems within the agency complex; logs communications received during shift and maintains records for purpose of ready identification; advises other agencies on incidents of special concern; contacts and may coordinate with agency units and/or outside agencies such as: State Police and local public safety agencies; independently responds to calls from the general public and refers to appropriate personnel; may monitor other state and local police, fire and medical radio frequencies; may perform varied clerical and statistical work; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to operate and monitor communications equipment; knowledge of terminology and coding used in radio communications; knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply state and federal laws, statutes, regulations and procedural guidelines relating to communications; interpersonal skills; computer keyboarding skills; ability to listen and communicate calmly, effectively and courteously in emergency and non-emergency situations; ability to speak proper English and enunciate clearly; ability to function and react calmly, effectively and efficiently under stress; ability to think and act quickly in emergency situations with judgment and discretion; ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to maintain records.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in dispatching and operation of communication equipment.
- Experience performing dispatching and record keeping functions for an organized Police Department.
- Experience with Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain certification as a Telecommunicator.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to receive within three (3) months of appointment and retain certification in NCIC and COLLECT systems.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to work a schedule that includes weekends, evenings and holidays.
In addition to the checking of references and facts stated in the application a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for permanent appointment.
A physical examination may be required by the appointing authority. Applicants for this class must possess normal hearing and vision.
Incumbents in this class may be required to work in tiring positions for long periods of time.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.