Do you have knowledge of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) and experience implementing its regulations?
As well as knowledge of the State’s special education law, Connecticut General Statutes Section 10-76a to 10-76h?
If so, we encourage you to consider applying today!
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) is now accepting applications for two exciting Associate Education Consultant opportunities within the Bureau of Special Education in Hartford, CT.
What we can offer you:
• Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
• Paid time off - including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
• Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities.
Through leadership, support, and systems of accountability CSDE shares a common goal with our stakeholders to improve educational outcomes for students with disabilities across the State. We are responsible for general monitoring and supervision activities to ensure students with disabilities receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE) within the least restrictive environment (LRE).
Our ideal candidates for the Associate Education Consultant will possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of the dispute resolution system.
- Knowledge of services and supports for students with disabilities in general education settings and across the continuum of placements.
- Knowledge of research-based practices and processes for creating access to the general education curriculum for students with disabilities.
- Skills in report and contract writing.
- Familiarity with national trends and other state practices related to student support services.
- Ability to contribute to small group meetings and individual discussions through interpersonal skills and professional knowledge.
- Ability to communicate complex information to a variety of stakeholders and to work with local education agencies to provide support, technical assistance, and accountability systems to achieve demonstrable outcomes of student success.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships within a team-based approach, etc.
- Full-time, 35 hours per week
- Monday through Friday schedule
- First shift hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Hybrid role with opportunity to telework
- Location: 450 Columbus Blvd Hartford, CT
We hope you will take this opportunity to make and impaCT!
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Aging and Disability Services, Education, and the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System assists in planning and executing programs of extensive difficulty and scope for the improvement of education in the State.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists a Bureau Chief or Education Consultant in supervising various educational programs and services offered by the State; assists in the development and administration of certain programs of major importance or may develop and administer other programs within the framework of bureau policy; provides professional leadership and guidance to school authorities, professional organizations, students and various community groups and individuals; may assist in directing the routine functioning of the bureau; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of the philosophy and methods of education with particular reference to the field concerned; teaching skill; ability to prepare reports; ability to deal effectively with others.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
An earned advanced degree and five (5) years of professional experience OR in lieu thereof an equivalent combination of experience and training approved by the Board of Education.
- Master’s degree or higher in Special Education.
- Experience working as a Special Education administrator or experience practicing Special Education law.
- Experience delivering special education presentations to educators or parents.
- Experience interpreting State and Federal special education laws resulting in written guidance to educators or parents.
- Experience working with individuals responsible for educational programs for special education children.
Incumbents in this class in certain positions may be required to possess an appropriate certificate issued by State Board of Education.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.