The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH) is recruiting for a Lead Custodian to support Merritt Hall. This position is full time, 37.5 hours, and second shift with a work schedule of 3:00pm to 11:00pm Monday through Friday. The position number is 137913. Please note, this position is open to current DMHAS employees only.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
As a state employee, you would continue to be able to participate in our competitive benefits plan which includes health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals.
MORE ABOUT THE FACILITY
CVH boasts a rich history first opening its doors over 150 years ago in 1868. As the State’s public hospital, we provide treatment of mental illness and currently comprise of 18 inpatient units over two campuses (Middletown and Hartford). In our operational framework, recovery is defined as a process of restoring or developing a positive and meaningful sense of identity apart from one’s condition and then rebuilding one’s life in the fullest sense. Recovery is an individualized patient-centered approach. Achieving and maintaining an optimal state of health and wellness is integrated in our recovery approach. Individuals acquire and practice life skills that will assist them in their recovery process.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Pamela Rochette via email at Pamela.Rochette@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for a crew of Custodians engaged in the cleaning of buildings.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; ensures supplies and equipment for crew are adequate by reporting shortages to supervisor; performs full range of duties as outlined in Custodian class specification; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of building custodial and/or housekeeping work and related equipment; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some supervisory ability; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in work that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or assaultive and/or abusive patients or clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.