The State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Custodian to join Southwest Connecticut Mental Health System (SWCMHS). This position will be assigned to the Housekeeping Unit of the Plant and Fiscal Services Department. The assigned position number is 23983.
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive comprehensive benefits plan that includes:
- Industry leading health benefits with medical and dental coverage;
- Generous paid time off, include 13 paid holidays per calendar year ;
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Professional growth and development opportunities; and
- A healthy work/life balance!
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Thrive in an exciting environment
- Make a difference in the Housekeeping Unit
- Work together in a collaborative team environment
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
SWCMHS is responsible for the oversight and
management of contracts with private not-for-profit agencies and residential
providers providing mental health services in the southwest region of the
state. With locations in Bridgeport and
Stamford, SWCMHS provides
inpatient, outpatient and assertive community treatment (ACT) services and
community support services for adults with severe behavioral health
disabilities; mental health services for people who are deaf or hearing
impaired and a mobile crisis intervention team. SWCMHS also provides outreach to people who are homeless and
mentally ill. Special agency programs include Shelter Plus Care, a housing
program for people who are homeless and who have a history of substance abuse
or mental illness or who have AIDS.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID 19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the cleaning and maintenance of buildings.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs custodial tasks and maintenance of areas such as dormitories, classrooms, offices, auditoriums, wards, kitchens, dining rooms and lavatories including outdoor areas (i.e. trash around buildings); dusts, mops, sweeps, scrubs, strips, waxes and polishes floors using appropriate equipment such as floor polishers and buffers; washes, dusts and polishes glass including windows, woodwork, walls, furniture and metal equipment; makes beds; checks, marks, stores and issues linens, blankets, and clothing (limited to individual’s work area not to include counting and inspection for a larger area); collects and counts soiled laundry; distributes, empties and sterilizes glassware, wash basins and bedpans; sweeps walks; collects and disposes of trash; reports needs for repairs; performs minor maintenance; runs errands; inspects buildings for damage and reports conditions to supervisor; may change light bulbs and replace fuses; may lubricate or tighten door hinges, drawers, cabinets, etc.; may replace ceiling or floor tiles; may remove snow and ice from stairways and walkways around buildings; may sand and salt stairways and walkways; may move furniture and/or set-up classrooms; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability in simple record keeping.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience working in custodial services in a healthcare facility
- Experience with cleaning and disinfecting procedures, including the use and mixing of cleaning agents
- Experience in infection prevention and the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Experience operating a buffing machine
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits, and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.