The Executive Secretary will report to the Commissioner of DSS and will be responsible for duties such as:
- Acts as confidential secretary to the Commissioner of DSS
- Provides high level administrative support to the staff of the Commissioner’s Office
- Responds to communications including phone calls and emails
- Maintains data bases as appropriate
- Tracks contracts and legal documents for the Commissioner’s signature
- Process Purchase Orders, expense Reports, Travel Authorizations and employee Payroll Reimbursements
- Health and dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Group life insurance
- Other supplemental benefits.
- Paid time off
- 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Vacation leave accruals
- Sick leave accruals
- Personal leave accruals
- 40 hours per week
- Monday - Friday
- Located at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105
As indicated on the Work tab within the application, ensure you are providing descriptive, well-written details about your experiences, skills and accomplishments that relate to this position.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- Please note that DSS takes part in the E-Verify system, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Acts as personal secretary and provides office management to the administrative head and/or to each undersecretary or deputy to such head of a department or institution as authorized by Section 5-198(11) of the Connecticut General Statutes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Acts as confidential secretary to an executive; relieves superior of administrative details through interaction with the public and routine contacts with other state executives; complies and coordinates data for action by superior; takes and transcribes confidential correspondence from supervisor or at meetings and/or hearings; types a wide variety of correspondence, notes, memorandums, drafts, transcripts, charts and forms following proper format; prepares own letters or reports and advises superior of appropriate action taken on routine matters; schedules appointments and arranges meetings; acts as receptionist; maintains and checks records and files; performs special assignments, studies and routine administrative functions as specifically directed; screens incoming correspondence, refers to appropriate staff and follows up to insure timely response; may supervise a clerical staff assigning work and following up to insure completion; may transmit to or request information from agency staff for agency head; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of office administration and management; considerable knowledge of functions, procedures, programs and regulations of relevant organizational unit; considerable knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with supervisor, co-workers and general public; ability to work independently on administrative tasks and make decisions within framework of departmental policies; ability to follow complex instructions; ability to take accurate and complex dictation; supervisory ability.
- Experience interacting with Executive Branch agencies
- Experience using Microsoft Office 365
- Experience providing high level administrative support to Commissioners and executive leadership
- Experience in a fast paced environment
- Experience answering and responding to phone and /or email inquiries
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.