Are you a current State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS) employee looking to tackle a more supervisory role?
If this sounds like you, we invite you to check out the opportunities below!
Comprehensive Benefit Offerings:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Paid time off - including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities.
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees.
- Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Schedule, assign, oversee and review work of staff;
- Provide staff training and assistance including identifying, planning and implementing training;
- Conduct performance evaluations;
- Determine priorities and plan unit work;
- Establish and maintain unit procedures.
- These positions will or may be located in one of our 12 Field Offices or Central Office Locations.
- Hybrid Schedule, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
- We are creating a pool that will be used to fill future vacancies in this job class. When applying for this position, please be sure to check off any/all locations where you have interest in working.
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our Applicant Tips on How to Apply page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Anamaria Giangarra at Anamaria.email@example.com and reference the recruitment number.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Social Services and the Department of Children and Families, this class is accountable for supervising a unit engaged in providing eligibility and/or other services to clients of the department's various assistance programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work of staff; provides staff training and assistance including identifying, planning and implementing training; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; develops or makes recommendations on development of policies and standards; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; consults with and directs staff in difficult, unusual and/or complex case resolution; implements personnel policies and procedures; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of available community support and social services resources; considerable knowledge of Eligibility Management System; knowledge of personnel policies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in the determination of client eligibility for public assistance.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been acting as a working supervisor or a policy specialist in the provision of eligibility services to clients.
Note: For State employees, this is interpreted at the level of Eligibility Services Specialist.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related area may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to those who possess the following:
- Experience working with available community support and social services resources.
- Experience working with the ImpaCT, AhCT, and other operational systems.
- Experience with effectively managing eligibility staff with varying challenges and needs.
- Experience with delegating, reviewing and monitoring work assignments.
- Experience with sharing ideas and providing feedback to assist in developing improved procedures to address office operational needs.
- Experience communicating effectively across all levels of an organization, including both internal and external partners.
- Experience with Generalist Programs including; Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Cash, medical and AhCT state administered programs.
- Experience with providing training and support to staff on generalist programs.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.