Are you looking to Make Your ImpaCT in public service?
The State of Connecticut
, Office of Health Strategy (OHS) is seeking a qualified individual to serve on our team as an Accountant. This position is a key role and will help support our Business Office. See below for additional information on this great opportunity!
- Work Schedule: Typically Monday - Friday
- Work Hours: Full-time, First Shift, 40 hours per week
- There may be opportunities for an alternate work schedule and working remotely in accordance with State policies.
- Location: 410 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive comprehensive benefits plan that includes:
- Industry leading health benefits with medical and dental coverage
- Generous paid time off, include 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- A healthy work/life balance!
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Focusing on the Covered Connecticut program
- Ensuring timely payments from invoices from insurance carriers
- Auditing invoices from insurance carriers
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY AND FACILITIES:
The mission of the OHS is to implement comprehensive, data-driven strategies that promote equal access to healthcare, control costs and ensure better health for the people of Connecticut. OHS consists of three teams: Health Systems Planning, Health Innovation and Health Information Technology.
Starting July 1, 2021, some Connecticut residents that meet specific eligibility requirements will be paying $0 for their healthcare coverage through Access Health CT, thanks to the new Covered Connecticut Program created by the State of Connecticut. The Covered Connecticut Program is administered by the State Office of Health Strategy in partnership with the Department of Social Services, the Insurance Department and Access Health CT.
We are a small state agency, but we have an influential role shaping the future of health care in CT. Come join our team!
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, 860-924-7053.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in professional accounting.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Records complex and compound journal entries; prepares balance sheets and financial statements involving multiple accounts; analyzes and interprets accounting records and reports; assists higher level staff in planning, design and implementation of accounting procedures or systems; reviews expenditures and prepares or reviews financial statements; assists in budget management by compiling and reviewing agency manager program budget proposals, preparing estimates and calculations of projected expenditures and quarterly allotments, and preparing monthly reports; monitors fiscal aspects of grant programs by preparing or reviewing financial reports, reviewing expenditures for compliance with grant contracts, providing technical assistance to grantees in maintaining accounting records; recommends accounting related improvements to business practices such as accounting controls and financial reviews; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports and analysis; assists in EDP experts in planning and implementation of financial aspects of EDP systems; in addition to professional accounting tasks, may supervise bookkeeping (e.g. maintenance, balancing and reconciling of accounts), accounts payable and/or receivable functions or other accounting related paraprofessional or clerical functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices including knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; knowledge of basic auditing principles and practices; interpersonal skills; oral communication skills; ability to prepare, analyze and evaluate financial statements and other accounting records and reports; ability to analyze and evaluate accounting methods and procedures; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management; ability to read and interpret written materials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level. Work at the paraprofessional level requires exercise of some independent judgment in applying basic accounting principles and may be compared to the level of a full charge bookkeeper. For state employees this is the level of Assistant Accountant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
Two (2) years of experience as an Assistant Accountant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Experience with Microsoft Excel including functions such as tables and formatting, data manipulation and pivot tables
- Experience analyzing financial statements and data
- Experience in Grant and/or Contract Management
- Experience with creating and reviewing Budgets and Projections
- Experience with Financial Modules in CORE or similar system
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.