Are you passionate about the environment? Are you looking for an entry-level engineering position?
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is looking to hire Engineer Trainees within the Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance's (MMCA) Water Permitting and Enforcement Division, located in Hartford.
Recent graduates and future May 2023 graduates with degrees in civil, environmental, or chemical engineering are encouraged to apply.
This position receives training under the direction of a supervisor or senior staff for a period of one year. Promotion to Environmental Engineer 1 will occur after successful completion of the training program.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
We take part in a competitive benefits plan which includes:
In addition, the State puts an emphasis on:
Generous paid time off (vacation, sick, and personal);
Excellent health and dental coverage;
Pension plan (State Employees Retirement System Tier IV) and more!
Providing limitless opportunities;
Hiring for diversity and fresh perspectives;
Performing meaningful work; and
Encouraging a healthy work life balance.
This is a full-time, 35 hour per week position on a first shift, Monday-Friday schedule.
There are multiple Engineer Trainee positions available. The positions will work out of our downtown Hartford office, located at 79 Elm Street, across from historic Bushnell Park. Hybrid work opportunities are available.
These Engineer Trainees will be responsible for assisting in the permitting of industrial wastewater discharges to:
- Surface water or groundwater;
- Stormwater discharges; and
- Subsurface sewage treatment and disposal systems.
Additionally, this position is responsible for the enforcement of regulations and statutes related to these discharges and subsurface sewage disposal systems. For more details on the tasks of this position, please see the "Examples of Duties" section below.
DEEP is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs – and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
For an inside look what it is like to Make an ImpaCT as a State of Connecticut employee, watch the video below!
Before you apply, make note of the following:
Important information for after you apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Questions about this position should be directed to Jake Ferrari via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement to the technical engineering work of the agency.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting staff of a higher grade in the Water Permitting and Enforcement Division in the performance of the following tasks:
- Review and process water discharge permit applications for wastewater including stormwater discharges in order to protect the waters of the state from pollution;
- Review engineering reports, plans and specifications related to the conveyance and treatment of wastewater;
- Assist in field investigations of stormwater discharges, industrial wastewater discharges, subsurface sewage systems, and/or agricultural surface water discharges;
- Assist in the initiation of enforcement actions to bring non- compliant dischargers back into compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
- May represent the Department at public hearings, meetings and in court proceedings;
- Work with municipal, federal, and other state agency officials;
- Other tasks as necessary to meet the statutory responsibilities of the Department related to wastewater permitting and enforcement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic engineering theories, principles and methods; skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments; considerable ability in performing mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's degree in the discipline required by the target class
- Experience or coursework in chemical, civil, environmental, or agricultural engineering;
- Experience or coursework in water pollution control or water treatment, hydraulics or hydrology, or agricultural activities;
- Experience or coursework with water quality modeling, interpreting water quality monitoring data or wastewater process modeling;
- Experience or coursework reading and interpreting process flow diagrams or drawings, plans or specifications, or maps;
- Experience or coursework interpreting and applying local, municipal, state, or federal regulations;
- Experience or coursework performing environmental field work or investigations;
- Experience or coursework gathering, organizing, analyzing or presenting data using spreadsheets, mapping software, or statistical software;
- Experience or coursework performing research and preparing documents, including technical reports;
- Experience or coursework communicating information to the general public, stakeholder groups, public interest groups, and students.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.