Are you looking to help protect Connecticut's beautiful landscape? If so, we have a terrific seasonal opportunity for you!
The Penwood Unit of the CT State Park and Forest System provides staff support for Penwood State Park in Bloomfield, Stratton Brook State Park in Simsbury, and Talcott Mountain State Park with Heublein Tower atop the ridge of Talcott Mountain, along with several other state forest and other properties in the Farmington River Valley.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE (See details under EXAMPLES OF DUTIES section)
- Interpretive Guide: Acts as primary visitor contact, works to increase the public's understanding, appreciation, enjoyment of, and concern for the natural resources of our State Parks. Minimum Age: 18
- Seasonal Maintainer: Performs work related to the maintenance and operation of DEEP managed lands and facilities. Minimum Age: 18
Schedule: Most positions are typically first shift, but other positions will be second or third shift. Positions are typically 5 days per week and include mandatory weekend shifts.
Anticipated Duration: Start dates vary by position and run through the recreation season, mid-April to mid-October; maximum of 1,030 hours.
Salary: Depends on relevant education and/or experience. There are no benefits with this position.
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs – and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
ABOUT DEEP'S BUREAU OF OUTDOOR RECREATION
Connecticut’s system of state parks and forests, state boat launches, and waterways, provide many opportunities for outdoor recreation for residents and visitors alike. These range from camping and fishing to hiking, boating, and picnicking.
For technical support regarding the filing of your application in JobAps, please contact Benjamin Beaudry at Benjamin.Beaudry@ct.gov.
Any inquiries regarding the status of your application for this park’s positions must be made directly to Stephany Dumond at Stephany.Dumond@ct.gov.
CT DEEP encourages you to consider applying for seasonal opportunities at alternate locations as your application is under review.
To learn more about how YOU can Make an ImpaCT as a Seasonal Resource Assistant, check out the video below!
This is a non-competitive recruitment, open to the public.
IMPORTANT SELECTIONS INFORMATION
- Selected candidates must be fluent in English and be at least 16 years old or 18 years old, depending on the position.
- Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
- Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
- Complete a Master Application and directly apply to this recruitment.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOU APPLY
- The recruitment process may take several months. Due to volume, we are unable to give individual application updates. We encourage applicants to review their application status via their Personal Status Board on JobAps.
- Please regularly check your email for notifications (be sure to check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.)
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Interpretive Guide: Talcott Mountain – Hub Tower; Acts as primary visitor contact, works to increase the public's understanding, appreciation, enjoyment of, and concern for the natural resources of our State Parks; conducts a variety of interpretive programs including, but not limited to, lectures, classes, tours, field walks, canoe trips, campfire programs, and special events to a wide variety of audiences; may assist with program development. Minimum Age: 18 Approximate Dates of Employment: mid-April to mid-October, mid-May to mid-November and mid-February to mid-August.
Seasonal Maintainer: Performs work related to the maintenance and operation of DEEP managed lands and facilities including, but not limited to, litter pickup, cleaning, mowing, raking, and painting. May use hand tools; may direct traffic in parking lots; may drive vehicles rated at 3/4 Ton Gross Vehicle Weight or less. Positions are also available for those with additional levels of training and experience. These positions involve the use of machinery and power equipment such as lawn mowers, chain saws, brush cutters, tractors, medium duty vehicles and the use of skills in carpentry, plumbing, mechanical repairs, grounds maintenance. Minimum Age: 18
Special Requirements: Previous experience in janitorial work, landscaping or a skilled trade preferred; must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license. Approximate Dates of Employment: mid-April – mid-October.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
- A background in either the natural sciences or education is preferred,
- Preferred applicants will be able to work full-time for the entire recreation season and have related experience or training.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.