As an Engineering Professional We Can Offer You:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage;
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
- Paid time off - including 13 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Professional growth and professional development opportunities; and
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees;
- On-site, low-cost fitness center;
- On-site cafeteria and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging at our Newington, CT Headquarters facility;
- Ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with BIM leaders from around the country through groups such as The Highway Engineering Exchange Program (HEEP) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to help reshape the way CTDOT delivers projects. You will also work with multiple engineering design disciplines to help deliver CTDOT’s BIM Execution Plan. You will help to implement agency-wide BIM standards working with the design teams to ensure they are producing data driven designs and support the continued implementation/transition of BIM throughout the agency. In addition, you will be tasked with keeping up to date on the quickly evolving road, bridge and building related technologies, including (but not limited to) digital delivery, data management, digital twins, generative design, modeling and analysis, ISO-19650, model as the legal document, and CAD to GIS.
As a BIM for Infrastructure Specialist, you will be part of a team responsible for managing CAD Applications, using Bentley OpenRoads Designer, OpenBridge Designer and OpenBuildings Designer. You will provide assistance to both in house employees as well as outside consultants, develop training guides, standards and maintain the CTDOT CONNECT Edition CAD Workspace.
Applicants must be available to travel for training, conferences, meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours, when necessary. A valid motor vehicle operator's license is required and must be maintained.
Visit our website to learn more about the Connecticut DOT!
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancies are listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the State of Connecticut is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Hayley Newhouse at Hayley.Newhouse@ct.gov or (860) 986-6918.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working lead who assists a supervisor in supervising a designated group of employees and/or for performing the most complex engineering or related tasks in one or more aspects of engineering projects or studies in the areas of administration, bridge design, design, drainage, electrical, foundations, hydraulics, maintenance, operations, pavement management, regulation compliance, rehabilitation, research, traffic or utilities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assist in the development of BIM implementation plans.
- Support BIM implementation and continue to move the agency forward with technology solutions that will enhance our Survey, Design and Construction Management Offices.
- Develop and Implement various CAD to GIS procedures for various transportation assets.
- Work with staff to prepare training documents and provide training sessions.
- Act as a support resource for the core design technologies. Provide survey and engineering staff with technical support for Bentley OpenRoads Designer, OpenBridge Designer and OpenBuildings Designer.
- Assist with complex technical concepts, creating and modifying 3D models, data management, analysis and/or optimization for engineering designs.
- Assist with BIM procedures for quantity take-off necessary to provide the cost estimators with quantities.
- Help to create and maintain standards, processes, and goals.
- Maintain current knowledge of design software, industry developments in integrated practice, and other applicable techniques.
- Research new and upcoming technologies.
- Support efforts in the development, testing, and implementation of design tools and services.
- Help manage and develop the CTDOT CAD workspace and configurations.
- Coordinate support between external software application partners and internal staff.
- Support the development and implementation of interoperability workflows between various design applications/platforms.
- Other duties as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices involved in transportation engineering such as bridge design, foundations, highway design, transportation facilities design, transportation planning, maintenance, drainage or hydraulics, research, pavement design, pavement management and traffic; knowledge of administrative and financial controls with respect to transportation engineering plans, contracts, projects and reports; considerable knowledge of operational methodologies and established policies; considerable analytical, problem solving and technical report development skills; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to interpret and apply principles of information systems and technologies; ability to analyze plans and estimates; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and three (3) years of experience in transportation engineering.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the working level in a professional transportation engineering capacity. For state employees this is interpreted at the level of Transportation Engineer 2 (ENGINEERING).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor's degree requirement.
2. Possession of Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
3. A Master’s degree in engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
4. Current incumbents in the class of Transportation Engineer 2 (ENGINEERING) who do not possess the degree or certification/licensure qualifications as detailed on this class specification may be considered for promotion to Transportation Engineer 3 (ENGINEERING) upon having three (3) years of experience in transportation engineering. One (1) of the three (3) years' must have been as a Transportation Engineer 2 (ENGINEERING).
- Experience with Bentley CONNECT Software
- Software troubleshooting and technical experience
- Experience using proper CAD Standards in designs or checking designs for proper CAD Standards usage
- Education, training or experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Technical experience with computers and networking
- Experience with presentation skills and oral and written communication skills
- Experience with survey data collection workflows
- Experience self-managing and efficiently delivering assigned tasks, projects and group initiatives
- Experience as a technology advocate, providing high level customer service in assisting others with CAD solutions
- Experience in engineering with a concentration on technology and applicable software
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
2. Incumbents may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.