Are you a cook looking for a great chance step up in your career?
If so, we have an excellent opportunity to serve our State's
ABOUT US: The State of Connecticut, Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) has a long history of "Serving Those
Who Served" since 1864. Our highly trained staff is dedicated to providing
compassionate care to meet the unique needs of Veteran patients, built on the
foundation of integrity, honor, and respect. We pride ourselves on fostering
these qualifies as we honor Veteran patients for their service and encourage
the innate bond between them. The DVA has supported Connecticut Veterans and
continues this tradition with Residential and Healthcare programming on our
campus in Rocky Hill.
THE POSITION: The DVA has two Assistant Cook openings. These roles are assigned to the skilled nursing facility located at 287 West Street in
Rocky Hill, CT. These positions are full time, 37.5 hours per week with the following available work schedules:
- Schedule 1: 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. | Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
- Schedule 2: 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. | Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Thursday
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Work in a tray line environment;
- Serve large quantities of meals per day;
- Collaborate with highly skilled and experienced cooks;
- Positively impact our
client population by your interactions and professionalism; and
- Utilize your skills and
experience to bring food offerings to the clients we serve.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU: We offer a competitive benefits plan
that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time
off, including *12 paid holidays per calendar year (*13 paid holidays beginning in 2023). We encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Pamela Rochette via email at Pamela.Rochette@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of basic tasks in preparing soups, salads, meats, vegetables, desserts, beverages, nourishments, etc.; cleans, washes, polishes pots, pans, dishes, silverware, kitchen equipment, floors, walls, etc.; operates kitchen machines and equipment; may participate in serving food and packing food for delivery; may receive training in the preparation of food on a large scale; may prepare food in the absence of the cook; assists with the receiving and storage of food; may assist in the preparation of production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of simple food preparation; some knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow instructions and learn routines; some mathematical ability.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience on a food tray line meal delivery system;
- Experience with sanitation practices in a food service environment;
- Experience preparing and serving complete meals per day in a food service environment;
- Experience with bulk and individual plate cooking techniques;
- Experience rotating workstations in a shift.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.