The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station is the Connecticut state government's agricultural experiment station, a state government component that engages in scientific research and public outreach in agriculture and related fields.
We are seeking candidates to fill the position of Farmer to work at our 75-acre research farm in Hamden, CT. The hours of work are Monday-Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm. This position works outside, uses farm tractors and landscaping equipment, including power tools.
We offer an excellent salary and offers a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan, as well as paid time off!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening by the close date on the job opening.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup, they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
At the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of skilled agricultural work (e.g. requiring prior experience or training which would give the incumbent proficiency in required knowledge, skills and abilities on the first day of the job; only very few highly complex tasks would be learned on the job) in the areas of: general farm labor (crops, produce, orchards) and plant science.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Independently performs skilled agricultural tasks in the operation and maintenance of complex land preparation, planting and harvesting; performs minor maintenance and repair of greenhouse buildings and barns; prunes, pinches and supports plants; grafts and transplants trees, plants, and flowers; may spray pesticides on various crops and weeds; keeps records and prepares reports, also, performs the full range of duties as outlined in the Agricultural Worker Trainee specification; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the methods used in the culture and propagation of crops, produce, plants, flowers, and orchards; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to operate and maintain equipment related to the particular agricultural area; ability to follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in one of the following areas, related to the specific needs of the position:
- general farm labor
- plant science
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in agriculture or a related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
Working knowledge of farm equipment and tools.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment or animals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.