The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station is the Connecticut state government's agricultural experiment station, a state government component that engages in scientific research and public outreach in agriculture and related fields.
We are seeking candidates to fill the position of Skilled Maintainer at our New Haven campus. The hours of work for this position are Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm. The incumbent in this role will work with power tools.
We offer an excellent salary and offers a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan, as well as paid time off!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening by the close date on the job opening.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup, they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing one or more tasks of a skilled nature (requiring prior experience or training, below the level of a specialized trades worker which would give the incumbent proficiency in required knowledges, skills and abilities on the first day of the job) in addition to performing lower level duties. Only complex tasks should be learned on the job. Tasks performed will be in one or several of the following areas:
1. Building and equipment maintenance (operational and remedial) including the operation of trucks of 5 ton or greater capacity or complex motorized equipment.
2. Grounds care as a supervisor and/or specialized landscaping functions.
3. Assists Qualified Craft Workers or other higher level employees in the trades areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods, tools, equipment, materials and procedures of specific trade or work area concerned; some knowledge of maintenance problems and their proper handling; skill in manual and machine operations of trade or work area; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow written and oral instructions; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in one of the following areas:
1. One of the skilled trades
2. Landscape maintenance or vegetable gardening
3. Operation of motor trucks or large buses.
The experience area should reflect the needs of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General Experience.
Preference will be given to individuals with working knowledge of maintenance tools.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to significant levels of dust, heat, noise, extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive individuals.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.