Are you someone who is looking for an opportunity to lead the planning, organizing and directing legislative affairs? Then look no further, we have just the opportunity for you!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS) is recruiting for a Legislative Manager (Manager of Regulatory Compliance) for our Legislative Affairs unit. The position is located in our Central Office, 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT. Additionally, this is a full-time, first shift role with a Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm schedule.
We will entrust you to act in the lead role for the legislative affairs for the agency. This includes, along with other duties as needed:
- Responsibility for the full range of legislative functions
- Acting as a liaison for for legislators and their staff, Office of the Governor, and the Office of Policy and Management
- Analyze and interpret statutes, laws, and regulations
State of Connecticut employees participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes:
- Excellent health and dental coverage
- A generous retirement plan
- Paid time off
- A healthy work/life balance
We encourage you to come see all that Connecticut has to offer by joining the DSS team!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. We are no longer accepting resumes in accordance with PA 21-69. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- The Department of Social Services participates in E-Verify, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives via email at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Social Services and Developmental Services, this class is accountable for planning, organizing and directing a major program.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Manages staff and operations of a program; coordinates, plans and manages activities; formulates program goals and objectives; develops or assist in development of related policy; evaluates staff; analyzes federal and state statues, programming documents and regulations to insure appropriate policies and procedures; determines priorities and develops necessary plans to meet program objectives; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding regulatory policies and procedures; reviews statutes and regulations; prepares reports and correspondence; serve on committees and task forces where input from field public, constituents and other related officials is sought; agency point of contact for all legislative and regulatory activities; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of principles and methods of social services programs and administration; knowledge of methods and procedures of regulatory and legislative research and processes; knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to interpret and recommend administrative regulations; ability to analyze problems and recommend appropriate action; ability to analyze and interpret statistical reporting data; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience in a social service agency providing planning and development of legislative and/or regulatory programs.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been a supervisory or consultative capacity with programmatic and administrative responsibilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree
2. A Master's degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience in governmental affairs (i.e., negotiating legislation, acting as a liaison, acting as an agency/company representative in meetings/negotiations, etc.)
- Experience multi-tasking and handling multiple deadlines
- Experience researching and learning in-depth levels of complex programs and services
- Experience with communicating effectively to a wide variety of professionals and stakeholders
- Experience working in a fast-paced work environment requiring action and reaction to developing situations
- Experience utilizing Share Point and Microsoft Tools including project management tools to document and communicate project efforts, timelines and deliverables
- Experience analyzing statutes, regulations and laws
- Experience working in an executive office environment
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.