Are you an accounting or auditing professional for growth in your career?
If so, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT) is now accepting applications for a Supervising Accountant opportunity for the Financial Management & Support Division in Newington, CT. This opportunity is full time, 40 hours per week, on first shift. The schedule is Monday through Friday.
Our mission is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
This Role reports to the Fiscal Administrative Manager and supervises the Public Transportation unit staff of 4 individuals overseeing the largest DOT annual state appropriation of $220 million.
Discover the opportunity to:
- Supervise, schedule, and assign unit workflow and priorities of staff in their performance of accounting, purchasing and budget management for Bureau of Public Transportation – Business Transit Services.
- Manage agreements and issue payments for bus operating costs totaling over $200 million of state appropriated funds each fiscal year.
- Oversee payments to CTtransit, Transit Districts and Private Carriers.
- Report and reconcile over $30million in revenue collected and deposited to the state bank account for CTtransit, Hartford Rail Line, parking revenue from the Hartford Rail Line and Metro North Rail line, and ferry operations.
- Oversee the agency's IT over head budget totaling $3 million for agency related IT purchases.
- Perform other related duties as required.
We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
We hope you take this opportunity to make an impact!
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for supervising an accounting unit or function.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work of staff; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit accounting procedures including EDP procedures; develops or make recommendations on development of policies and standards; consults with superiors on accounting and fiscal matters; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; directs review and verification of complex financial documents, reports and statements; uses statistical data in evaluating cost benefit relationships; directs review and verification of posting to appropriate ledgers and subsidiary accounts and reconciliation of accounts and records; may direct analysis and preparation of budget requests; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices; considerable knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; knowledge of and ability to apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to evaluate and analyze accounting forms, methods and procedures and cost data; considerable ability to devise and install accounting procedures and systems; ability to evaluate and analyze accounting methods, procedures and data; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been performing the most complex accounting functions OR acting in a lead or consultative capacity at the level of Associate Accountant or Associate Accounts Examiner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree
2. A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor
- Experience using Financial Software such as the PeopleSoft application: Core-CT.
- Experience supervising professional level staff.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel spreadsheets including analyzing and managing data, formatting, using formulas, and creating pivot tables.
- Experience with written and oral communications at all levels of an agency, as well as building and maintaining collaborative relationships.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.