Are you looking for a challenging clinical role responsible for leading and supporting others?
If so, we have an opportunity for you!
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
CVH opened in 1868 as the State’s public hospital for the treatment of persons with mental illness. Today, CVH is the largest of DMHAS facilities, and includes 17 inpatient units over two campuses (Middletown and Hartford). The hospital includes both a general psychiatry and addiction services units.
CVH provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient psychiatric care and substance abuse treatment, including treatment for pregnant women and persons with dual diagnoses. Specialty areas include geriatric and special services, an integrated network of comprehensive mental health services for older adults and young adult services. The facility also runs the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) program which addresses the needs of TBI survivors.
The Director of Nursing 1 position will be located on the CVH Campus at 1000 Silver Street in Middletown, CT. This position is within the General Psychiatry Division (GPD). This is a part-time, first shift, thirty (30) hour per week position. The work schedule is 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. The position number is 135627.
The GPD specializes in recovery oriented inpatient treatment services to a diverse patient population with a range of serious and persistent mental illnesses and symptoms. Patients are admitted through DMHAS psychiatric and forensic services along with the general hospitals and the community.
Duties of this role include:
- Supervising a staff of over 200 nursing employees including Supervising Nurses, Head Nurses, Nurses, LPNs, MHA-1s, MHA-2s, Mental Health Associates, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Clinical Nurse Coordinators, and Supervising Clinicians;
- Responsibility for Standards of Practice and Quality of Care of nursing for the GPD;
- Performance of all quality assurance activities/monitoring for nursing; and
- Oversight of all scheduling, time and attendance issues.
State of Connecticut employees participate in a comprehensive benefits plan that includes:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage;
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Professional growth and development opportunities; and
- A healthy work/life balance!
These wonderful benefits are pro-rated for part-time positions.
Interested in knowing more about the work of a Director of Nursing at DMHAS?
Check out the video below!
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Children and Families, Developmental Services, Mental Health and Addiction Services and Veterans Affairs this class is accountable for directing nursing services or other clinical services.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs or assists with direction of staff and operation of nursing/clinical department; directs or assists with planning and managing of nursing/clinical activities; develops or assists with formulation of program goals and objectives; develops or assists in development of related policy incorporating current nursing/clinical research and professionally recognized standards; develops or assists in development and implementation of plans for care; interprets and administers pertinent laws; evaluates staff; prepares or assists in preparation of budget; maintains contacts with individuals both within and outside of department who might impact on program activities; makes rounds to determine quality of nursing care; assures optimal quality of care is provided in a safe environment; develops and/or implements effective ongoing programs to measure, assess and improve quality of nursing care, treatment and services delivered to patients; oversees programming for facility personnel to improve knowledge and practices of infection control; develops productive work teams; intervenes in crisis situations and investigates all unusual incidents; protects human and civil rights of patients and/or clients and staff; compiles data and prepares periodic reports; leads and participates in meetings; responsible for coordinating and providing twenty-four hour nursing coverage for facility or assigned unit(s); may provide direct patient and/or client care; may speak on behalf of nursing/clinical services; may oversee other disciplines including but not limited to pharmacy, respiratory therapy or social work; may participate in strategic planning; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of nursing principles and practices in appropriate specialty; knowledge of behavioral health nursing; knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; knowledge of nursing administration; knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques; knowledge of principles and practices of infection control related to infections and preventable diseases; knowledge of current developments in field of nursing including current complexities of the healthcare industry; knowledge of principles and practices of infection control related to infections and preventable diseases; knowledge of trend variance analysis; some knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; some knowledge of marketing; some knowledge of and ability to develop strategic plans; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity in a health care organization/facility or hospital nursing.
Note: For State employees, this is interpreted at or above the level of a Supervising Nurse.
- Experience with staffing and scheduling
- Experience managing and creating master schedules
- Experience managing employee performance, work rules, and attendance
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license as a registered professional nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class serving in the capacity of the Nurse Executive are required to possess a master's degree in nursing, social or behavioral science, public health administration, health care administration, hospital administration or a related field.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.