The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) is accepting applications for an Education Services Specialist to join our newly established Parent Resource Center, located at 450 Columbus Boulevard in Hartford, Connecticut, as part of the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) within the Office of Strategic Planning and Partnerships (OSPP).
This opportunity is full-time, 35-hours per week, with a Monday through Friday schedule, with occasional extended and weekend hours for recruitment events and application assistance during high demand periods in the placement process.
About us: The CSDE is the administrative arm of the Connecticut State Board of Education and operates the RSCO as the central office responsible for managing the application and placement system for school choice programs in the Greater Hartford Region.
The Role: The CSDE operates RSCO pursuant to the agreement in the landmark desegregation case, Sheff v. O’Neill, as single point of information, application and placement for families interested in interdistrict magnet schools, the Open Choice Program, and Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) technical high schools in the Greater Hartford Region. The candidate for this position will lead a team of Education Support Technicians in the Parent Resource Center to provide support to families applying to interdistrict choice schools through the RSCO School Choice Application and manage data and information in the application and placement system to improve overall responsiveness and efficiency of the school placement process as part of RSCO’s Parent Resource Center. Under the direction of the RSCO Director, the candidate will coordinate the work and activities of the Parent Resource Center team to ensure the delivery of high quality customer service and execution of the critical services of the Center, including providing information to families about the school choice options in the Greater Hartford Region, and supporting them through the application and placement process via recruitment events, application assistance events, and contact through the Parent Resource Center. The candidate will coordinate and support the work of the Parent Resource Center to manage application data and ensure the integrity and efficiency of the placement process; initiate and maintain communication with families, schools and districts to verify information and complete applications and placements; provide data support to choice schools and Open Choice districts; and provide translation services as needed to assist families and communicate information about school choice for families and RSCO publications.
We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
We hope you take this opportunity to make an impaCT!
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Aging and Disability Services, and Education assists in planning and executing a program for the improvement of education in the State, responsible under supervision for carrying out specific assignments of limited difficulty and scope.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists in the development and administration of educational programs and services offered by the State; provides professional leadership and guidance to school authorities, professional organizations, students and various community groups and individuals; may personally administer certain phases of educational program within the framework of bureau policy; may assist in directing the routine functioning of the bureau; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the philosophy and methods of education with particular reference to the field concerned; teaching skill; ability to prepare reports; ability to deal effectively with others.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master's degree and three (3) years of professional experience OR in lieu thereof an equivalent combination of experience and training as approved by the Board of Education.
- Experience in a customer service position involving direct contact with the public.
- Experience with database management including inputting and manipulating data in Excel.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or other non-English based languages.
- Experience in marketing and outreach to target populations through social media, written publications, and other recruitment platforms.
- Experience with community outreach efforts, working with community organizations and educational leaders.
- Experience working in or with school districts in racially, ethnically, and economically diverse environments.
- Experience preparing and conducting presentations to community groups, educators, families, or other stakeholders.
- Experience managing the work of other employees.
Incumbents in this class in certain positions may be required to possess an appropriate certificate issued by the State Board of Education.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.