At the State of Connecticut, Office of Policy and Management (OPM), we report directly to the Governor and provide information and analysis that the Governor uses to formulate public policy for the state. We also assist state agencies and municipalities in implementing the law and public policy on behalf of the people of Connecticut. We prepare the Governor’s budget proposals; implement and monitor the execution of the enacted budget; and oversee the executive branch agencies that report to the Governor.
This is an exciting opportunity to work as a Business Intelligence (BI) Program Manager (Information Technology Manager 1) within the Office of Finance. In this role, you will be responsible for managing a BI portfolio of projects as part of the Statewide Analytical Reporting System (STARS) team. In addition, you will be responsible for working with departments and agencies to analyze and document data reporting needs, recommend and develop solutions including dashboards and visuals, and assist in data architecture and administration activities.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess 5+ years' experience working with BI applications, have a strong analytical background, strong project management skills and work ethic, ability to maintain strong working relationships with multiple stakeholders, and the capacity to multi-task and navigate changing circumstances.
This is a forty hour per week position, conveniently located in Hartford, CT, easily accessible to all major highways.
As a State employee you will enjoy:
Flexible work hours and telecommuting arrangements.
Outstanding medical and dental benefits supporting your health and wellness.
The ability to begin planning for your future with excellent retirement plans and defined contribution plans.
Paid time off including vacation, sick time, and thirteen holidays.
Interested in learning more about employee benefits? Check out our benefits page for more information.
Interested in becoming a state employee? Watch the video below to learn more:
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Within a state agency information technology division, this class is accountable for the management and direction of information systems, applications development, systems maintenance, and similar information technology functions as well as technical and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Examples of the duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
In the capacity of a program manager, manage a portfolio of projects and activities related to the Statewide Analytical Reporting System (STARS).
Lead BI design and requirements gathering sessions to document user requirements, workflow, and data needs.
Translate user requirements into architecture and design documents to develop data models, end user reports, dashboards, and visuals.
Collaborate with STARS user community and other stakeholders to increase STARS awareness and adoption, and identify opportunities for cross-agency data reporting collaboration to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
Coordinate with statewide ERP (Core-CT) on data staging, cleanup, conversion, reporting, and integration.
Research latest market trends in the BI space and identify tools and solution to fit the needs of the STARS community.
Assist with implementation of system upgrades and modifications to the underlying platforms.
Assist with identification, development and execution of user documentation and training material.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
· Plan and Deploy for Business Results, which includes the ability to develop and implement business plans, IT plans, budget plans, and human resource plans in order to maximize budget allocations, technology, personnel and other resources to achieve agency and program goals.
· Lead Change, which includes innovation, the ability to be a creative problem solver and a strategic thinker, and the ability to recognize and develop opportunities to grow and develop information technology services in response to customers and a changing work environment
· Focus on Results and Quality, including exercising and promoting accountability, and the ability to analyze surveys, financial and other data, and use strategic planning and performance measurement techniques to continuously improve performance and maintain competitiveness
· Understand Customers and Markets, which includes the ability to establish customer satisfaction and loyalty, forecast and conduct market analyses, keep ahead of industry trends and incorporate “best practices” into information technology operations.
· Lead People, including the ability to resolve conflict, communicate effectively, coach and train employees, recognize performance, and foster diversity and teamwork.
· Build Coalitions, including the ability to explain and advocate facts and ideas in a convincing manner, to negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally, to gain cooperation from others, and to identify the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization.
· Business Knowledge, including knowledge of the technical, professional, procedural and legal requirements of the specific information technology area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of experience in computer or network administration, architecture, operations, production control, systems development, information technology analysis and planning.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have been in a lead capacity.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted to be at the level of an Information Technology Analyst 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s Degree.
2. A Master’s Degree in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. For State Employees, four (4) years of experience as a Computer Operations Supervisor may be substituted for the Special Experience.
The preferred candidate will have:
Five plus years of experience in Business Intelligence (BI) applications.
Two plus years of experience with Oracle BI application, reports, dashboards.
Strong working knowledge of SQL. Oracle SQL and PL/SQL.
Experience with PeopleSoft ERP platform.
Experience troubleshooting Oracle BI tools, metadata, query and data issues.
Experience coordinating end user documentation and training.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
E-mailPhone: (860) 713-52058am - 4:30pm M-FPowered by