The State of Connecticut, Department of Public Health (DPH) is hiring! We are seeking a Trainer to join our team and work in our Health Statistics and Surveillance Section (HSS), Office of Vital Records (OVR). This Trainer position with OVR has an integral role in enhancing and implementing a training program to ensure high quality vital records data are available for public health surveillance and reporting activities. The OVR is in the process of modernizing data collection activities through an electronic vital record registration system.
This Trainer position will provide DPH data reporting partners with written, online, and in person training on the use of CT-Vitals (the DPH electronic vital record system). Proper training is necessary to assist reporting partners in providing the most accurate and complete information for vital record preparation (birth, death, fetal death, and marriage certificates). Official birth, death, fetal death, and marriage certificates are legal documents that are used for identification, personal documentation, and various public health surveillance activities.
The Mission of the Department of Public Health (DPH) is to protect and improve the health and safety of the people of Connecticut by assuring the conditions in which people can be healthy, preventing disease, injury, and disability, and promoting the equal enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health, which is a human right and a priority of the state.
DPH accomplishes this through the implementation of its Strategic Plan which outlines the actions that DPH is taking to accomplish its Mission.
Are you interested in joining our team as a Trainer? We encourage you to apply today! This position will be located centrally at our offices at 410 Capitol Avenue in Hartford. This is a full-time, first shift, 40 hour per week position with a typical work schedule of Monday through Friday. This position offers a hybrid telework option and a flex schedule.
Please Note: Candidates must successfully complete a background check per CGS29-17a prior to appointment. This position is funded through July 31, 2024.
The DPH offers a competitive starting salary and excellent State benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, and a multitude of other benefits. We also encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements of COVID-19 Vaccination.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
AFTER YOU APPLY
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
CONNECT WITH US
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jensine Tran at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in preparing and conducting training programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares and conducts training courses; assists in planning, developing, coordinating and evaluating comprehensive training programs; conducts needs assessments; develops course objectives, curricula, outlines and contents; selects and develops training methods and materials; researches learning material and resources; monitors and evaluates training courses and participants progress; provides technical assistance and consultation; maintains records and prepares reports; organizes and maintains a library of training materials; may conduct drills and exercises; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and techniques of training and staff development; knowledge of education methods and techniques; ability to assess training needs and determine objectives; ability to develop, organize and conduct training courses; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of technical experience in training, staff development, or adult education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience following procedural guidelines in a state or local office of vital records to include managing confidential information in the maintenance of birth, death, fetal death, or marriage certificates
- Experience communicating with students and professionals and providing clear verbal and written instruction on procedures
- Experience presenting educational or training material in person to a group of students or professionals
- Experience presenting educational or training material using an online platform such as MS Office or Zoom to a group of students or professionals
- Experience with various computer applications, including MS Excel and Word, text editors, file transfer protocol tools, Structure Query Language (SQL), matching/linkage software, and Extensible File Markup Language (XML)
- Experience using educational learning applications including Powerpoint, Captivate, and Camtasia
- Experience supporting e-learning technology initiatives, including webinars, online courses, e-learning and streaming video
- Experience developing technical and training materials, including training curriculum, system user guides, quick reference guides and e-learning programs (Webinars, Web-based and Virtual resources)
- Experience developing curriculum and lesson plans including the ability to write effective copy, instructional text, and audio scripts/video scripts
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess specialized certifications for designated positions prior to appointment.
2 Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
3 Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.