Are you a highly motivated Architect looking for a new role to demonstrate your unique talents?
Do you enjoy preparing contract documents for commercial and institutional projects?
If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS), is now accepting applications for an exciting, full-time (40 hours/week), Monday- Friday, Architect role within the Real Estate and Construction Services (RESC) Division, Technical Services Unit, in Hartford, CT with hybrid telework schedules available. Our mission is to provide expertise for state funded construction within the Executive and Judicial branches of Connecticut State Government. Our team requires people who can adapt to changing project needs, assisting other agencies with project development and quality control.
The Role: You will be part of a team of technical experts who develop and enforce quality standards and manage planning studies for state funded construction. Working in tandem with the State's Chief Architect you will interact with multiple stakeholders including internal staff and external state agencies. The Technical Services Unit has spearheaded a progressive working environment and continues to pursue improvements to our work through effective use of technology. Our goal is to provide the best value to state facilities including advocacy and implementation of the administration’s climate, resilience, and energy goals!
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Review of complex construction documents (project manual and construction drawings) for both minimum standard of professional care as well as compliance with state quality standards for construction.
- Manage master planning and pre-design studies including oversight over external design consultants.
- Support internal project management staff with technical issues.
- Oversee the state electronic document archive and other necessary related duties.
What We Offer: Our office is centrally located in Hartford, CT with walkable access to museums, a science center, and great restaurants. As a State employee you will also enjoy:
- Flexible work hours and telecommute arrangements.
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits supporting your health and wellness.
- The ability to begin planning for your future with excellent retirement plans and defined contribution plans.
- Paid time off including vacation, sick time, and twelve holidays.
- Interested in learning more, check out our benefits page.
Watch the video below to see what it’s like to be a State of CT employee!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing as a specialist in the execution, design, analysis and coordination of work pertaining to all phases of design and planning for state buildings and institutions. This class may also assist in supervising such projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs specialized duties in development of project design and preparation of plans and specifications for state buildings and institutions; coordinates architectural and engineering functions of projects; develops plans and specifications for projects; prepares and coordinates preliminary surveys and planning requirements; assists in preparation of standard specifications for guidance of subordinates and outside architects; reviews plans and specifications prepared by subordinates and/or outside architects for conformance with specifications; analyzes design problems and recommends solutions; performs site inspections to confirm compliance with specifications; assists in developing capital improvement programs and continued maintenance plans; negotiates fees and prepares contracts for consulting architects and engineers; participates in meetings with consultants, agencies and project staff to establish and maintain work schedules and resolve questions; prepares reports and responds to inquiries as necessary; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply principles, practices, and methods of architecture, building design, and the design aspects of building modification and construction; considerable knowledge of building materials and equipment; considerable knowledge of building, fire safety and other applicable codes; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to conduct compliance reviews of construction specifications and drawings; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience as a project architect with full responsibility for the architectural design of major building projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in architecture may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of five (5) years for a Bachelor's degree program in architecture.
A Master's degree in architecture may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience preparing contract documents for commercial and institutional projects utilizing AutoCAd and Revit software.
- Experience in building envelope design including masonry construction, and commercial and institutional roofing systems.
- Experience with sustainable construction practices including certification programs.
- Experience with development and oversight of master planning and pre-design studies.
- Experience with Bluebeam Revu document review software.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, and Teams.
Incumbents in this class will be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications including a State of Connecticut Architect’s license.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from site environments and to some discomfort from year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.