Experienced in independently performing a full range of tasks in reviewing, preparing, and analyzing designs and related contract documents for architectural design projects?
If so, please read below and apply today, to make an impaCT in your state!
WHO WE ARE
The State of Connecticut, Department of Housing (DOH), Architectural & Technical Support Division is currently accepting applications for an Architectural Design Reviewer 1, in our Hartford office, located at 55 Hudson Street, Hartford, CT. Our mission at DOH is to ensure everyone has quality housing opportunities and options throughout the State of Connecticut. DOH seeks to eliminate homelessness and to catalyze the creation and preservation of quality, affordable housing to meet the needs of all individuals and families statewide to ensure that Connecticut continues to be a great place to live and work.
The basic duty of an Architectural Design Reviewer 1 is to provide architectural technical assistance and consultation to staff and developers, in the predevelopment, development, and construction phases of single and multi-family residential structures.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, first shift, with a hybrid work environment.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Review and evaluate costs, drawings, specifications, change orders, services and construction procurement, architectural/engineering, and construction contracts for agency, state, and federal compliance
- Prepare applications and notices for inter-state agency approvals and postings
- Perform collaborative reviews with other state agency technical teams
- Other duties as assigned
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits supporting your health and wellness
- The ability to begin planning for your future with excellent retirement plans and defined contribution plans
- Paid time off including vacation, sick time, and twelve holidays
- Alternative work schedules
- A culture that encourages work-life balance
- Interested in learning more, check out our benefits page
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a State of CT employee!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Sharon McIntosh, at Sharon.McIntosh@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in the review, preparation, and analysis of designs and related contract documents for architectural design projects, including building rehabilitation and alterations, new construction and site work. This class also assists consultants in the development and finalization of project documents, including drawings, specifications and cost estimates.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Reviews construction plans, drawings, specifications, and change orders for completeness, accuracy, and consistency with contract documents, codes and agency or statutory requirements; prepares and reviews cost estimates; conducts review meetings and prepares summary reports; assists in studies for the determination of short- or long-range building projects; works closely with architectural and engineering consultants in the review of submitted specifications; performs life cycle cost analysis as required; operates computer aided design and drafting (CADD) equipment; may prepare or review designs of structural, mechanical and electrical systems as well as architectural designs; may provide technical design consultation as required; assists in and may perform inspections of site and facility conditions of design projects; prepares code violation reports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply principles, practices and methods of architectural design and design aspects of building modification and construction; considerable knowledge of building materials and components; considerable knowledge of building and fire codes; knowledge of structural, mechanical and electrical systems; knowledge of computer aided design and drafting (CADD) equipment; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to review, interpret and apply contract provisions; ability to read blueprints; ability to accurately estimate project costs; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in preparing architectural designs, project documents and cost estimates for various types of building design projects including some experience utilizing computer aided design and drafting (CADD) equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in architecture may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of five (5) years for a Bachelor's degree program in Architecture.
- Licensed Architect or Architectural Associate who has met the requirements for licensing
- Experience with construction administration
- Experience in construction cost reviews and change orders
- Experience in single and multi-family housing design
- Experience with state and federal housing projects
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from site environments and to some discomfort from year round conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.