Since 1968, the Connecticut Department of Correction has proudly served and protected the citizens of the State of Connecticut, by daily ensuring the safety, security and order of our 14-correctional facilities in a manner which is widely viewed as a national model. The Department endeavors to provide the programming, education and treatment which willing inmates may utilize to improve themselves and the success of their eventual reintegration into society. Our staff of dedicated correctional professionals takes great PRIDE (Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Dignity, Excellence) in the daily performance of their duty to our state.
The State of Connecticut Department of Correction (DOC) shall strive to be a global leader in progressive correctional practices and partnered re-entry initiatives to support responsive evidence-based practices aligned to law-abiding and accountable behaviors. Safe and security shall be a priority component of this responsibility as it pertains to staff, victims, citizens and offenders.
Osborn has a population of over 1000 inmates; the majority with complex medical problems and the highest medical acuity in the state. OCI has a 28 bed medical infirmary, a 48 bed unit for inmates with special ADA requirements, 2 housing units for inmates over 50 and one of the highest populations of inmates going to outside medical trips. The role is located at the Osborn Correctional Institution in Somers, CT. This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position working first shift. Schedule is Monday-Friday between 8:00am-4:00pm.
As an APRN, you will be an on-site prescriber assisting our inmate population. You will work with a hardworking multidisciplinary team to deliver the highest level of care across a diverse population in our rare environment. You will have opportunities to care for a wide range of people and health concerns and gain invaluable experience while working highly dynamic work environment.
The clinical and administrative demands of a facility requires regular monitoring of individuals in restrictive settings, including Administrative Segregation, Special Circumstances, and Security Risk Groups.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
We take part in a competitive benefits plan which includes:
In addition, the State puts an emphasis on:
- Providing limitless opportunities;
- Hiring for diversity and fresh perspectives;
- Performing meaningful work; and;
- Encouraging a healthy work life balance.
For an inside look at what it's like to Make an ImpaCT from our DOC Healthcare team, check out the video below!
• In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
• The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
• Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
• All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AFTER YOU APPLY
• This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
• Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
• Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
• The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Benjamin Beaudry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency health care delivery system
this class is accountable for independently assessing, evaluating an
individual’s health care status and developing a treatment plan to manage
health problems and promote health maintenance and providing consultation
services to optimize services provided and effect system changes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides comprehensive advanced nursing
treatments and/or health care services to individuals including clinical assessments,
treatments, diagnosing medical conditions, assessing emergencies, ordering,
analyzing and interpreting results of diagnostic studies, prescribing
medication and monitoring responses to medications and adjusting accordingly,
making appropriate referrals to specialists; leading cardiac arrest codes and
documenting medical and/or psychiatric care; performs specialized duties in
providing medical and psychiatric care to a variety of individuals including
hospitalized and ambulatory individuals with acute and chronic conditions;
provides individual psychotherapy; educates individuals regarding diagnosis and
treatment; assesses the effectiveness of health and/or psychiatric care
services; consults with clinical staff regarding assessment methods and
treatment plans; assists regional and/or central office staff in determining
need for contractual health services; provides direction to staff on
appropriate health record documentation; functions as liaison between agency
and community health care providers; prepares reports on health services,
problems and investigations; participates in quality assurance and other
clinical committees as needed; assists families and other groups in
understanding medical and/or psychiatric needs of clients serviced by agency;
participates as a member of multi-disciplinary evaluation team; may provide
training to nursing and paraprofessional staff; may complete home assessments
for safety; may participate in investigations of abuse and/or neglect; may
testify in court; may direct agency clinic services; performs related duties as
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of advanced nursing principles and treatments;
considerable knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and
regulations; knowledge of psychiatric nursing principles and practices,
treatment modalities and concepts of community programs; knowledge of substance
abuse issues as they relate to individuals overall health and/or psychiatric
status and course of treatment; knowledge of state, federal and local health
care agencies and programs; knowledge of pharmacology as it relates to advanced
nursing practice; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and
written communication skills; considerable clinical assessment and evaluation
skills; ability to examine, diagnose, assess and treat individuals requiring
health care services; ability to interpret diagnostic tests; ability to prescribe
appropriate medications and other treatments; ability to utilize computer
software; administrative ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A current license as an advanced practice registered nurse issued by the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
- Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain Connecticut Controlled Substance Registration for Practitioners issued by the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection.
- Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain United States Drug Enforcement Administration Registration issued by the United States Federal Government.
- Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain eligibility for participation in federal health care programs as defined in 42 U.S. 1320a-7b(f).
- Incumbents in this class are required to possess and maintain relevant registration(s) and/or certification(s).
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain patients/offenders and may have some exposure to infectious and/or communicable diseases and disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.