The State of Connecticut, the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) Business Intelligence and Analytics Unit is accepting applications from qualified Agency employees for a full-time Data Scientist, based out of the Central Office located in Hartford, CT.
In this role you will:
- Apply statistical and research principles and techniques to a wide variety of issues and projects;
- Develop research designs and statistically sound protocols and works with staff to carry out specific research studies;
- Develop statistical and computerized models for analyzing data and interpret results to support business and client needs and facilitate informed recommendations and decisions;
- Other related duties.
- This full-time, 40 hour per week position works a Monday through Friday schedule. Although first shift hours are assigned, candidate must be flexible to meet the needs of the agency. Statewide travel may be expected.
- We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
*The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Jennifer Borenski, Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 2 at 860-418-6143 or Jennifer.Borenski@ct.gov.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- At any time during the recruitment process you may be asked to submit additional information.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Anamaria Giangarra at Anamaria.firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for directing and conducting the most complex and specialized research investigations/evaluations, statistical analysis and/or data driven studies/projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Applies statistical and research principles and techniques to a wide variety of issues and projects;
develops research designs and statistically sound protocols and works with staff to carry out specific
research studies; develops statistical and computerized models for analyzing data and interprets
results to support business and client needs and facilitate informed recommendations and decisions;
performs complex statistical analyses such as predictive modeling, forecasting, multiple regression,
trend analysis, log linear analysis, factor analysis, and multi-variate analysis; uses parametric and non-parametric statistics; selects, designs, organizes and works out statistical techniques and research
designs most suitable for the project/study at hand; evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of various
statistical techniques and research designs, selecting those which achieve the most valid results;
conducts in-depth literature searches and writes scientific papers; instructs staff in research and
statistical techniques, methods, and use of statistical analysis software; oversees the production of
research proposals, development and maintenance of databases, and interpretation, and writing of
research and statistical reports for various intra and extra departmental audiences; may assist in the
planning, design, selection, and evaluation of technologies related to data retrieval and analysis;
performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods of research design, statistical analysis and database
management; considerable knowledge of management systems research and development related to
social and economic trends; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal statutes,
regulations and guidelines; knowledge of data processing computer programming for statistical
analysis; knowledge of data retrieval and analysis methods; considerable written and oral
communication skills; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to conduct longitudinal
investigations/research, including interviewing and performing trend analyses and outcome
effectiveness studies; ability to analyze and evaluate data using multiple regression, log linear
analyses, factor analyses and multi-variate analyses; ability to use statistical packages and/or various
data modeling platforms; ability to design and conduct studies and determine effective solutions; ability
to write technical reports; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master’s degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, psychology, statistics or a closely
related area with significant coursework in research methodology and statistics and one (1) year of
professional experience with significant involvement in research and statistical analysis.
- Experience designing, implementing, and auditing statistical methodologies for reporting and analysis.
- Experience developing and modifying reports and visualizations for state or federal reporting purposes.
- Experience implementing data quality assurance and improvement activities.
- Experience Directing/Leading staff in completion of required federal, state and programmatic reporting.
- Experience overseeing data sharing strategies and implementing agreements.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.