The State of Connecticut
, the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS
) invites applicants to apply for a full-time General Trades Worker
position to work within CTECS. We have over 800 students from five towns. We have upgraded state-of-the-art classrooms and industry-standard equipment in every shop, giving students a well-rounded, 21st century education.
- In a high school environment, the incumbent will be responsible for performing a full range of General Trades Worker duties as assigned by the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
- This position is located at the Bullard Havens (Bridgeport),Technical High School.
- The hours are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
*The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- At any time during the recruitment process you may be asked to submit additional information.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Anamaria Giangarra at Anamaria.firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing highly skilled trades duties in various trade areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring the application of trade skills, codes, and standard trade practices in a variety of trade areas including but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVACR, glazing, masonry, painting work, etc; makes estimates of time, personnel, and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas, may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to the trade or trade areas as required; at State owned airports may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; may operate and maintain heavy earth moving equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices of a variety of trade areas; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in one or more trade areas.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in one or more trade areas.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at or above the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial, and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Valid driver's license;
- Experience in a maintenance shop environment;
- Experience using landscaping equipment;
- Experience with plant and shrub maintenance. Pruning and trimming, lawn mowing;
- Experience running a plow truck and snow removal equipment;
- Experience using other small motorized equipment;
- Experience making small engine repairs and machinery repairs;
- Experience building automation systems;
- Experience with HVAC equipment and maintenance. Perform HVAC filters and belt changes.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.