The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS),
is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and
wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network
of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that
foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Are you looking to be
accountable for supervising nursing staff engaged in professional nursing activities?
If you are, we encourage you to apply today!
The DMHAS, Connecticut Valley
Hospital (CVH) seeks an
experienced and qualified individual for the position of Supervising Nurse for
the General Psychiatry Division (GPD), 1000 Silver in
Middletown, CT (PCN 100442). This position is full time, 35 hours weekly. The work schedule is 3rd shift, 11:15 p.m. to 7:15 a.m., every other weekend
and holidays with the following days off:
- Week One:
Friday and Wednesday
- Week Two: Saturday and Sunday
At CVH, individuals receive services that assist them to better manage their illnesses, achieve personal goals, and develop skills and supports that lead to living the most constructive and satisfying lives possible. GPD specializes in
the treatment of patients with a range of serious and persistent mental
illnesses and symptoms. The clients are admitted through DMHAS psychiatric and
forensic services along with the general hospitals and the community.
role you will discover the opportunity to:
- Supervise a staff of over 200 nursing employees including Head
Nurses, Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Mental Health Assistants, Mental
Health Associates, Clinical Nurse Specialists, etc.;
- Provide 24-hour supervision and direction of the nursing staff
as they deliver care to psychiatric inpatients;
- Ensure adherence to the Standards of Practice and Care of
nursing for the GPD;
- Perform all quality assurance activities and monitoring for
- Oversee all scheduling and time and attendance issues.
leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage;
pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
vacation, personal and sick leave;
holidays per calendar year;
growth and development opportunities;
- Outstanding work-life balance!
Also, each Registered Nurse
who is permanently assigned to the second or third shift shall receive a
“recruitment and retention” yearly bonus of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00).
In order to be eligible for this bonus, the Employee must have completed one
year of service in the registered nurse classification.
Check out this video
below to hear why our Nurses love working for the State of Connecticut!
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Doreen Clemson at Doreen.Clemson@ct.gov or 860-785-9855.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for supervising nursing staff engaged in professional nursing activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans, organizes and directs health services for an assigned program, unit(s), facility or geographical area; ensures that goals, objectives and work performed are consistent with standards and that quality care is provided to individuals; provides clinical guidance to nursing staff; selects, develops, motivates and evaluates staff; conducts performance evaluations; monitors the quality of documentation, records and other information concerning services and care; ensures that resources are available to provide quality services; participates in the development of policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective delivery of services; participates in the development of long-range plans for health care programs; acts as a liaison with other units, agencies and outside organizations; prepares, analyzes and evaluates reports and other information concerning the delivery of services; responds to psychiatric or medical emergencies; may physically restrain individuals; may oversee all nursing operations in the absence of the Director of Nursing; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply nursing principles, clinical therapeutic models, and standards of nursing; considerable knowledge of specialized individual care in the assigned nursing areas; considerable knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; considerable knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic differences; considerable knowledge of and ability to apply family systems theory; considerable knowledge of procedures and protocols of applicable accrediting institutions; knowledge of management and administrative principles and human resource development strategies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with other professionals, community resources and providers; considerable ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride, trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; considerable ability to provide leadership and guidance in developing and maintaining nursing standards and enhancing health care systems for the delivery of essential services; considerable ability to respond to crises’ and emergencies; considerable ability to use professional judgment to identify areas for improvement and participate in development of quality initiatives; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience as a Registered Professional Nurse in a hospital, regional, institutional or psychiatric setting.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the level of a Head Nurse, Head Nurse (Correctional Facility), Forensic Head Nurse or Clinical Nurse Coordinator working with the type of individuals serviced by the agency.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Nursing may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
2. A Master's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Our preferred candidate will possess the following:
- Master's degree in Nursing.
- Experience in a psychiatric setting.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a current license or temporary permit to practice professional nursing in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals; may have some exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and to risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.