The State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Bureau of Information Technology Solutions (BITS) - Workforce Enablement Services Division is looking to hire two (2) O365 Messaging Administrators (Information Technology Analyst 3) in Hartford, CT, to work with the Messaging and Collaboration Team. This team is comprised of statewide applications and tools that consist of Exchange Online, Exchange Online Protection and Microsoft Purview (connection filtering, anti-malware, policy filtering and anti-spam filtering), Microsoft Teams Administration, Microsoft Intune, and other products and services within the Microsoft cloud offerings.
The O365 Messaging Administrator will be responsible for the care, enhancement, and support of the email and messaging environment and will provide O365 Administration (Teams, Intune). The environment is a hybrid configuration consisting of on-premise Microsoft Exchange and Exchange Online. The ideal candidate will have experience working in both on-premise and cloud-based email environments. This position is critical in order to successfully provide on-going support for all Microsoft O365 products for the executive branch and to the entire State of CT.
- Full-time (40 hours per week)
- First shift
- Monday-Friday (working a hybrid remote work schedule, allowing for a balanced work/life)
This position will be responsible for:
- Monitoring and assisting with mail flow in Exchange Online and assisting customers statewide with non-deliverables and potential compromised accounts
- Monitoring and managing O365 and Exchange policies for: anti-phishing/spam, mail flow rules, quarantined mail policies, data loss prevention (DLP) policies, Office Message Encryption, impersonation policies, approve/deny policies working inside of Microsoft Purview Compliance Portal and Exchange Online
- Actively developing PowerShell scripts to: automate and enhance O365, Teams and Exchange configurations, account modifications: onboarding/offboarding/archival/delegations. Using PowerShell to conduct mail analysis, and for complex reporting as needed
- Checking Exchange queues – general monitoring of the health of the Exchange servers (hybrid environment)
- Working with agencies statewide as needed to on-board applications to the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) relay, using Exchange On-Premises and Allow Lists and Agency Connectors inside Exchange
- Assisting with agency 3rd party mail senders for applications that send mail on behalf of the tenant, ensuring they pass Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (DMARC)
- Working inside the Teams Administration Console to assist users statewide with call-quality issues, Teams Phone Number Assignments, assigning owners to orphaned sites, renaming sites as needed
- Backup Intune Administration - policy review and management of mobile devices as needed, supporting the mobile device team
- Assisting with design and functionality enhancements across O365 and Exchange Online
- Backing Up Intune Administration - policy review and management of mobile devices as needed, supporting the mobile device team
- Resolving Tier-2 and Tier-3 tickets related to messaging and collaboration systems – Exchange, O365 , Active Directory, Intune and Teams
- Assisting with agency 3rd party mail senders for applications that send mail on behalf of the tenant, ensuring they pass DMARC
- Backup Listserv Administration– create and configure listserv lists; generating monthly reports of list names and owners
- Researching and Developing: Maintaining a familiarity with Exchange Online and its policies, O365 feature changes and updates, PowerShell modules and updates, general infrastructure of Azure and its’ services, application publishing processes (app proxy), various cloud platforms, and 3rd party mail senders
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
The State of Connecticut offers a competitive starting salary, excellent state benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance.
View the video below to learn what it's like to be part of this new BITS team!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Important Information After You Apply:
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency Information Technology (IT) environment, this class is accountable for performing the most complex and technical support work and/or acting as a working supervisor of Information Technology Analysts engaged in information systems development or technical support.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
All Functional Areas: Diagnoses host system problems and develops and coordinates resolutions; manages planning, analysis, design, selection, installation and implementation of new technologies; evaluates new technologies; tests and evaluates new hardware and/or software; makes recommendations for hardware and/or software purchases; determines interface and utility requirements and creates design specifications; acts as liaison to hardware and/or software vendors, system developers, programmers and management; develops and implements network and system security guidelines; makes recommendations for migration and upgrade directions; trains operators, systems developers and users on new procedures; conducts system performance analysis, tuning or storage management; conducts technical training programs for IT staff; acts as project coordinator overseeing other technical staff and support personnel; plans, coordinates and directs multiple projects of assigned staff; reviews work of assigned personnel; calculates project time and cost estimates; prepares necessary procedural specifications to meet design requirements; arranges necessary hardware and software availability; oversees hardware and software vendors; manages project budgets and schedules; reviews work of assigned Information Technology Analysts and serves as consultant and/or troubleshooter; reviews documentation work of assigned staff; communicates with business owners and management; facilitates meetings; assists in development of information technology policies, procedures and standards; participates in Request for Proposal (RFP) process; implements disaster recovery plans, assists in determining critical applications and personnel, or ensures offsite backups; defines data flow; performs related duties as required.
Working Supervisor Use: Plans unit workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; make recommendations on policies or standards; prepare reports and correspondence; performs related duties as required.
Systems Programming: Performs the most complex duties related to application development; develops and implements system programming standards; configures and installs host-based application packages; maintains host operating systems; installs and upgrades host and/or Front End Processor (FEP) operating system software; performs other related duties as required.
Software Development: Configures and installs host-based application packages; analyzes upgrades for complex applications to determine functionality and necessary software customization; writes program specifications and systems specifications; designs forms, screens and reports; performs related duties as required.
Database Administration: Provides advanced level database support and troubleshooting; designs, installs, tunes and maintains integrity of major host-based database; leads integration efforts, transitioning applications to new technology; performs related duties as required.
Network Support: Designs and implements complex communications networks; diagnoses and resolves problems using network management systems and utilities; performs related duties as required.
IT Security: Develops, tests and maintains agency disaster recovery plans designed to restore IT system operability; develops process and procedures in support of IT Business Continuity Planning; conducts platform recoverability assessments and Business Impact Analysis (BIA) to determine and assess the impacts associated with disruptions to business functions; conduct risk analysis of IT environments by assessing administrative, technical and physical safeguards; performs IT investigations to include maintaining chain of custody procedures; performs forensics and documents detailed reports of findings; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis, design, development, and computer programming; considerable knowledge of principles of information systems; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business and planning functions; considerable knowledge of programming languages; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles, problems and techniques of data processing and data communication operations; considerable knowledge of data processing and data communications equipment and diagnostic tools; considerable knowledge of methods and procedures used to conduct detailed analysis and design of computer systems; considerable knowledge of principles of complex computer operating systems; knowledge of principles and techniques of business information systems re-engineering; knowledge of network protocols and architecture; knowledge of practices and issues of systems security and disaster recovery; knowledge of applications systems development principles and techniques; knowledge of principles and practices of data base management; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable problem solving skills; considerable technical problem solving skills; considerable analytical skills; considerable ability to prepare correspondence, manuals, reports and documentation; considerable ability to analyze and resolve operational and communications problems; considerable ability to analyze and debug complex software programs; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve complex business and technical problems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in information technology (IT) operations, programming, systems/software development or another IT related field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
(1) year of the General Experience must have been at the full professional
working level with responsibility for performing a full range of complex
technical support functions in such areas as: assisting in the design,
implementation and management of a major communications network; providing
technical and administrative support for a wide area network (WAN) or
mini-computer system; assisting in the installation and maintenance of major
sub-systems or installing and maintaining other host and/or network software; participating
in the design and development of system applications; serving as a project
coordinator responsible for coordinating the design, development, programming
and implementation of moderately complex information systems projects; performing
any closely related complex technical support function.
NOTE: For state employees this is
interpreted at the level of Information Technology Analyst 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 Administration
- Experience with Exchange Administration both On-Premise and Cloud
- Experience with Active Directory
- Experience using PowerShell Cmdlets
- Experience with Microsoft Teams Administration
- Experience with Mobile Device Management Systems
- Experience developing and providing training on Information Technology applications
- Experience providing both on-site and remote troubleshooting support
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.