The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites qualified applicants to apply for two (2) Transportation Maintainer 2 positions in the Materials Management, Central Warehouse Unit located in Rocky Hill. The work hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Incumbents in this position must be willing to accept assignments to emergency duties when required, including snow and ice removal, when required. Mandatory winter overtime occurs November 1 through April 30 each year.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the “tank endorsement”, and current valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates will also be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
These positions are assigned to the Materials Management Unit located in Rocky Hill. Incumbents will be responsible for performing a full range of various materials management duties, both manual and clerical. Duties include receiving daily deliveries, stocking commodities, issuing a variety of materials and supplies to various operations and facilities, maintaining accurate inventory levels both manually and electronically, CoreCT time entry, and general housekeeping and landscaping duties.
- Receive vendor deliveries of Stores commodities; verify commodities against purchase order, breakdown and unpack shipment, verify condition, check quantity count, check part numbers, identify Stores catalog numbers to tag each item and physically put-away stock in appropriate storage locations.
- Perform cycle counts to ensure inventory control.
- Operate forklift, Hi Lift, truck and other warehouse equipment.
- Travel to other stockrooms and vendor locations to obtain/deliver parts and supplies for stockroom and customer requirements.
- Provide backup coverage in satellite stockroom operations as needed.
- Perform stockroom housekeeping duties (clean and maintain shelves, bins and other storage space).
- Perform landscaping and grounds keeping duties such as mowing, weeding, shoveling, and raking along with operating hand and power tools.
- Mandatory overtime is required November 1 through April 30 in this operation to support the Agency’s snow and ice program.
- Office duties: answer telephones, operate fax machine and copier, take messages, and perform data entry.
- Utilize CoreCT – Inventory Management Module in maintaining inventory control of parts and supplies.
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jennifer Neumann via email at email@example.com
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of moderately skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of State roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports, and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains complex mechanical equipment; works as a moderately skilled mechanic in garages in the routine repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the construction, maintenance, and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges, or airports; knowledge of the processes and materials used in the construction and maintenance trades; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to use and make routine repairs to complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of experience in the construction, landscaping, commercial driving, snow plowing, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment or work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
- Equipment experience: Forklift, Hi-Reach Truck, Bobcat, Payloader.
- Experience with CoreCT or other computerized purchasing and inventory management systems.
- Experience with Warehouse/Storeroom Operations.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Products; Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Possess a valid forklift certification.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are required.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness in order to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.