Are you an educational leader looking for a great opportunity to advance your career and help support the Connecticut Educational System? Do you enjoy bettering the lives of students? If so, read below & apply today!
The Connecticut Technical Education Career System (CTECS), invites applicants to apply for a Technical High School Assistant Principal (Supervisor) position to work first shift in its Central Office, located at 39 Woodland Street Hartford, CT. This is a year-round, Monday-Friday position. Travel to CTECS schools is a requirement. The incumbent will report directly to the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction and will serve as a Supervisor of Science and Health Technologies. The selected candidate follows the contractual responsibilities and obligations as outlined in the American Federation of School Administration, Local 61's Contract.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Oversee the programming of the following areas: Bio Science, Bio-Technology, Health and Physical Education, Health Technology and Science. Programming includes the implementation of curricula, developing of curricula, creating pathways and assisting with district-wide development and implementation of assessments.
- Create best practices and strategies for teachers to use for State Wide Assessments such as the NGSS.
- Hire teachers.
- Provide support and assistance to schools.
- Conduct learning walks at all schools.
- Meet with Department Heads on curriculum, programming, best practices and provide professional development based on programming and school needs.
- Research, prepare materials and identify resources for use by the district, schools and teachers on best practices.
- Please see other duties in the "examples of duties" section below.
It is the mission of CTECS to provide a world-class, unique and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
Benefits: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees.
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a CT employee!
In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Must hold a valid Intermediate Administration and Supervision certificate (092) and one or more of the following endorsements: 030,031,032,033,034.044, 090.109. Please list your endorsement in the licenses & certifications section of your application.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Education, Connecticut Technical Education and Career System, this class is accountable for assisting with directing the operation of a Technical High School or for administrative duties in the System’s central office.
GUIDELINES FOR JOB CLASS USE
This is an administrative professional level class responsible for supervising education professional, paraprofessional, maintenance, security or other support staff in a Technical Education and Career System High School or the System’s central office.
1. Assists the Principal with development and implementation of school improvement plans, student assessment initiatives, evaluation of certified and non-certified staff, classroom observations, oversight of student schedules, student discipline, other school-related functions.
2. Oversees and leads education administrative functions over major program areas in the System’s central office.
3. This class is not intended for administration of an operational bureau such as Information Technology, Human Resources, Fiscal, Equal Employment, Communications and other related administrative functions.
Supervises instructional staff and operational staff of a school or staff in the System’s central office as deemed by the Superintendent.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Technical High School: Assists with staff activities and oversight of all related school functions; assists in the development of a comprehensive long and short term goals and objectives which support educational initiatives and Board and System mission; makes recommendations to assist with system policy, program priorities, funding, legislation and regulation; develops or assists in the development of school or system educational programs; administers pertinent laws within assigned school or system central office; leads the school-wide scheduling team in order to develop efficient and student centered schedules and assists in the implementation of the computerized student information system; oversees the student assessment process including collecting and analyzing student data to ensure student achievement over time; assists with controls of fiscal operations within school by determining priority of expenditures of financial and related resources; supervises and evaluates instructional and operational staff; assists the school system with the selection of appropriate textbooks, teacher guides and other instructional materials and equipment; provides support to teachers in their classrooms through coaching, modeling and mentoring; responds to inquiries from the public concerning education initiatives and programs; responsible for programs assigned and activities; may act as an Executive Coach to oversee professional development within the class, including growing district leadership capacity and developing district-wide succession planning by providing non-evaluative support for beginning and developing incumbents within the job class; may represent school and agency in related activities as required; performs related duties and special assignments as required by the Principal, Assistant Superintendent and/or Superintendent of Schools.
Connecticut Technical Education and Career Central Office: Oversees and leads education administrative programs as assigned by the Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent; supervises and evaluates central office staff as appropriate; oversees and provides support to the schools in the administration of programs in the Technical and Career High Schools; participates in the recruitment process; may represent the agency in related activities as required; performs related duties and special assignments as required by the Principal, Assistant Superintendent and/or Superintendent of Schools.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of the philosophy and methods of education, with emphasis on educational administration and management; considerable knowledge of the objectives and purposes of educational programs; considerable knowledge of supervision/evaluation methods; considerable knowledge of public school administration; knowledge of the principles and techniques of budgetary preparation and fiscal management; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable written and oral skills; considerable ability to understand and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master’s Degree and at least five (5) years of teaching experience and two (2) years of education leadership/supervisory experience.
Preference will be given to the applicants with experience or coursework in:
- Staff evaluation methods, including leading activities to provide colleague to colleague feedback; familiarity with school reform initiatives, including evidence of leading staff in the initiatives; using differentiated instruction, tiered interventions, and/or SRBI approaches to monitor student progress.
- Using technology to support instruction, special education programming and programming for English Language Learners.
- Building relationships with students, parents, staff, district office, business/industry and the community at large.
- Utilizing student data to improve student performance, school performance and instruction.
- Working with adolescent population in a title 1 and urban setting and using research-based strategies to support this population.
- Creating a school schedule that is incorporated into a high school master schedule with ability to prioritize student and school needs.
- Implementing and providing leadership in Marzano instructional strategies.
- The Danielson Rubric and with coaching teachers to improve or impact instruction using this rubric.
- Leadership experience is at Department Head or Administrative classification.
Must hold an Intermediate Administration and Supervisor Certificate (Endorsement 092) issued by the State Board of Education.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.