This class is accountable for:
- Independently performing a full range of fiscal duties,
- Showcasing your detail-oriented organizational skills,
- Meeting critical deadlines and making a difference in the public sector,
- The ideal candidate is detailed-oriented and has the ability to meet critical deadlines.
What is CTECS?
We are the largest high school system in Connecticut, serving all geographic regions and all demographic and diverse populations. We currently operate 17 diploma-granting technical high schools, one technical education center and two aviation maintenance programs located throughout the state. The system serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students. We offer a comprehensive high school and Career Technical Education in 31 occupational careers. The occupational careers are within 12 career clusters. In addition, the CTECS serves adult education students in aviation and apprenticeships. Our mission at CTECS is to provide a world-class, unique and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners.
- Monday-Friday; 8:00am - 4:30pm.
We offer competitive benefits
including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance
to all employees.
*The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- At any time during the recruitment process you may be asked to submit additional information.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Anamaria Giangarra at Anamaria.firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, facility, or institution this class is accountable for performing a combination of basic paraprofessional work, and highly complex clerical work in fiscal and administrative functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs paraprofessional level work in fiscal and administrative activities; independently performs bookkeeping and basic accounting activities such as maintaining, balancing, and reconciling an interrelated group of accounts; independently accountable for an accounts receivable or accounts payable process including varied and complex procedures and activities; prepares simple financial statements and assists in preparation of complex financial statements; calculates rates involving complex arithmetical formulas; gathers and consolidates payroll and expenditure data for budget preparation; ensures that expenditures plus encumbrances are within appropriation limits; reviews routine expenditures for compliance with itemized budgets; utilizes EDP systems for financial records and reports; independently performs purchasing functions including preparing and processing purchase orders and requisitions, authorizing routine purchase orders, and preparing requests for proposals; independently prepares renewal or new contracts based on awards; ensures that routine payments are in compliance with contract provisions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of bookkeeping, financial record keeping and basic governmental accounting principles and practices; knowledge of basic procedures of budget preparation and control; some knowledge of payroll procedures, purchasing procedures and contract preparation; basic interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability in arithmetic computations; ability to audit financial documents; ability to understand and apply statutes and regulations; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in complex clerical work in one or more fiscal/administrative functions such as accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grant administration, payroll, or purchasing.
Note: Complex clerical work is defined as generally routine fiscal/ administrative work, such as financial record keeping or examining, bookkeeping, requisitioning or payroll preparation at or above the level of Financial Clerk. Descriptions of these fiscal/administrative functions are attached
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
2. One (1) year as a Pre-Professional Trainee in fiscal/administrative work may be substituted for the General Experience.
- Experience working with the Core-CT, Asset Management and Inventory Modules or other related financial/inventory management systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Experience with asset inventory control policies and best practices.
- Able to travel to various CTECS locations throughout CT as needed (state vehicle).
Persons having responsibility for supervising or observing the behavior of inmates or custodial individuals will be required to possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) certification by the time of permanent appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.