The Office of the State Treasurer exists to provide and ensure effective financial management of public resources, high standards of professionalism and integrity, and expanding opportunity for State of Connecticut residents and businesses.
We are recruiting for an Investment Officer who will report to the Principal Investment Officer of Private Equity and Private Credit and will support the management and monitoring of the CRPTF's private equity and private credit portfolios. This is a full-time (40 hours per week, Monday - Friday) position, centrally located in Hartford, CT.
Under the direction of the Principal Investment Officer (PIO), the Investment Officer will be responsible for identifying and underwriting new investment opportunities, performing investment research and analysis, along with portfolio management and monitoring. This position receives general direction from an employee of higher grade and may also supervise professional and clerical staff as assigned.
We offer an excellent salary and a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan, as well as, paid time off!
NOTE: This position requires strong financial analysis and communications skills as well as the ability to travel domestically and internationally.
State employees currently holding the above title or those who have previously attained permanent status in the class may apply for a lateral transfer. Candidates who have been selected for employment with the Office of the State Treasurer are subject to a detailed background investigation, including a fingerprint supported state and federal criminal history record check along with reference checks. Selection for employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the background investigation.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. Please ensure that your application is complete prior to submitting. NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, supervisory references, attendance records, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact Johnette Tolliver, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQ’s) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications, including your SPAM/JUNK folders. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements and preferred qualifications of the position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Investment Division of the Office of the State Treasurer, this class is accountable for managing one or more investment programs or trust funds (e.g., real estate, short term, equities, international trade, etc.).
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans, directs and coordinates the implementation and operation of an investment program or trust fund (e.g., real estate, short term, equities, international trade etc.); maintains close contact with government and private sector officials (e.g., investment banking firm employees, external investment advisors, financial consultants, bank officials, corporate treasurers, clients of the Investment Division, etc.); conducts periodic reviews of on-going investment programs and recommends changes in strategy as required; stays informed on events and other factors which could affect investment programs; conducts feasibility reviews of potential investments and makes appropriate recommendations; analyzes economic indicators in investment markets; decides priorities of investment options; maintains appropriate performance records; prepares reports requested by the State Treasurer; performs related duties as required.
Specific responsibilities of this role may include the following:
- Assist in the identification and selection of private markets investment opportunities.
- Conduct independent research and analysis of potential investments and investment managers.
- Communicate the results of investment opportunity analysis, findings, and recommendation to the PIO(s), Chief Investment Officer, and other members of the PFM investment staff through verbal and written reports, presentations, etc.
- Perform ongoing monitoring, analysis, and reporting of investments as well as the aggregate portfolios.
- Attend annual meetings as needed, conduct quarterly calls and/or meetings each quarter with each manager and provide written overview of communications with managers.
- Review quarterly reports and financial statements and communicate significant team, valuation or policy changes.
- Monitor existing investments for compliance with established objectives and guidelines.
- Assist with the legal negotiation and documentation process to close new investment commitments consistent with the established policies and practices.
- Prepare portfolio reviews summarizing performance, portfolio analytics and market data.
- Prepare and maintain investment reports on fund managers in the portfolios, as well as those under consideration.
- Review and coordinate investment operations and accounting related matters; interface with investment managers, PFM staff, custodians and third-party advisors and consultants as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of investment practices and procedures; considerable knowledge of specific disciplines required for performance of duties (real estate, short term, etc.); considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to analyze and evaluate investment alternatives; considerable ability to prepare financial and analytical reports; considerable ability to plan and maintain appropriate controls and records of investment transactions; supervisory ability.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess:
- A minimum of five (5) years investment experience in private equity and/or private credit with a pension plan, endowment, foundation, consulting, or financial services firm.
- Considerable knowledge of private markets investment practices and procedures, including investment due diligence, analysis, performance monitoring, portfolio management, and legal documentation.
- CAIA, CFA and/or a relevant graduate degree preferred.
- Demonstrated sound investment judgment, with advance abilities to incorporate both qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- The ability to work independently and appropriately prioritize multiple tasks.
- Strong attention to detail, including the ability to accurately maintain appropriate controls and records of investment transactions.
- Demonstrated proficiency with legal documentation, including limited partnership or operating agreements, subscription documents, consents, amendments, etc.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with colleagues, investment managers, and other internal and external constituents.
- A Bachelors of Arts or Sciences from an accredited four-year college or university.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.