Are you a hardworking, dedicated, and motivated professional looking for a rewarding career? Are you looking to make a difference while being part of a dynamic team in the public sector? If you answered yes, we have an exciting opportunity for you to explore!
We, with the Department of Public Health (DPH), are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Data Analyst, to support our Immunization Program. This position will be located centrally at the State Public Health Laboratory, located at 410 Capitol Avenue in Hartford. This is a full-time, first shift, thirty five (35) hour per week position with a typical work schedule of Monday through Friday. There will be some opportunity for telework or flexible schedules, in accordance with State policies.
During the pandemic, new infrastructure was created for COVID-19 vaccine data reporting. This data has been used to inform DPH and external stakeholders on decisions about vaccine allocation, public communication, COVID prevention measures and health equity activities. A Data Scientist is needed to ensure that the Immunization Program can maintain this infrastructure and build upon it, making full use of the data reported to CT WiZ (the CT Immunization Information System) on all types of vaccines.
The Mission of the State of Connecticut, DPH is to protect and improve the health and safety of the people of Connecticut by:
- Assuring the conditions in which people can be healthy
- Preventing disease, injury, and disability
- Promoting the equal enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health, which is a human right and a priority of the state.
DPH accomplishes this through the implementation of its Strategic Plan which outlines the actions that DPH is taking to accomplish its Mission.
We participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, as well as paid time off! We encourage a healthy work/life balance.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, 860-924-7053.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for directing and conducting the most complex and specialized research investigations/evaluations, statistical analysis and/or data driven studies/projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Applies statistical and research principles and techniques to a wide variety of issues and projects;
develops research designs and statistically sound protocols and works with staff to carry out specific
research studies; develops statistical and computerized models for analyzing data and interprets
results to support business and client needs and facilitate informed recommendations and decisions;
performs complex statistical analyses such as predictive modeling, forecasting, multiple regression,
trend analysis, log linear analysis, factor analysis, and multi-variate analysis; uses parametric and non-parametric statistics; selects, designs, organizes and works out statistical techniques and research
designs most suitable for the project/study at hand; evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of various
statistical techniques and research designs, selecting those which achieve the most valid results;
conducts in-depth literature searches and writes scientific papers; instructs staff in research and
statistical techniques, methods, and use of statistical analysis software; oversees the production of
research proposals, development and maintenance of databases, and interpretation, and writing of
research and statistical reports for various intra and extra departmental audiences; may assist in the
planning, design, selection, and evaluation of technologies related to data retrieval and analysis;
performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods of research design, statistical analysis and database
management; considerable knowledge of management systems research and development related to
social and economic trends; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal statutes,
regulations and guidelines; knowledge of data processing computer programming for statistical
analysis; knowledge of data retrieval and analysis methods; considerable written and oral
communication skills; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to conduct longitudinal
investigations/research, including interviewing and performing trend analyses and outcome
effectiveness studies; ability to analyze and evaluate data using multiple regression, log linear
analyses, factor analyses and multi-variate analyses; ability to use statistical packages and/or various
data modeling platforms; ability to design and conduct studies and determine effective solutions; ability
to write technical reports; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master’s degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, psychology, statistics or a closely
related area with significant coursework in research methodology and statistics and one (1) year of
professional experience with significant involvement in research and statistical analysis.
- Experience creating, maintaining, and troubleshooting the system architecture for data flow and data at rest
- Experience developing and modifying reports and other visualizations
- Experience implementing data quality assurance activities in collaboration with CT Wiz staff
- Experience ensuring epidemiologist have access to dataset for analysis
- Experience running ad hoc data queries
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.