Are you an Engineer looking to make a difference in your community? Does shaping the future of Transportation in CT excite you? Do you specialize in Construction Engineering? If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut
, Department of Transportation (DOT
), is now accepting applications for a Transportation Engineer 2 (Construction Engineering)
opportunity in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Central Surveys Office
(Land Surveying). This role is part of the P-4 (Engineering and Scientific) bargaining unit and is full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday (evening and weekend overtime may be required) with hybrid telework options available.
Who We Are:
It is our mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. The Central Surveys (Land Surveying) section manages, directs, and coordinates all State right of way boundary maps, preparation and review of Departmental Property Acquisition and Release Maps, Geodetic Surveys/Connecticut Coordinate System, Photogrammetric Mapping, State Line Perambulation and the coordination of all Departmental and consultant survey activities.
Discover the opportunity to:
Utilize a CADD (computer aided design and drafting) system and other computer applications;
Utilize ArcGIS for geographic information system (GIS) applications;
Prepare, revise, and edit complex property acquisition and release mapping;
Create and maintain complex geospatial survey data layers to compliment present and future DOT GIS applications;
Operate survey instruments in a Geodetic Survey Party;
Coordinate, review, and act as liaison between Survey Operations and various DOT units;
Utilize aerial photography and photogrammetry to develop planimetric mapping, topographic mapping, and Digital Terrain Models (DTM’s);
Perform complex computations for survey control networks, etc.
This opportunity requires a valid motor vehicle operator's license which must be maintained, please list this information on your application. All relevant information such as possession of any licensure, any specialization in college, or relevant work experience must be listed on your application as well.
We participate in a competitive benefits package
that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance
for all employees and provide professional growth and development opportunities!
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of engineering or related tasks in one or more aspects of transportation construction engineering projects or studies in the following areas: construction, administration, rehabilitation, surveying, testing, materials testing, operations, or maintenance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Inspects construction projects; acts as a team member in preparation of plans and estimates for construction or maintenance of bridges, structures and highways; reviews shop plans; oversees collection, recording, preparation and analysis of data pertaining to materials testing and transportation planning; assists in budget preparation, report writing, general planning and administration of unit work from an engineering project coordination and technical stand point; prepares research and administrative reports; assembles and prepares contracts and unit cost figures; plans budgetary requirements; leads survey parties or acts as chief inspector of highway construction projects; oversees field and office work in surveys; performs complex tasks in the generation of base survey planimetric and topographic mapping and cross sections utilizing an analytical stereoplotter and a CADD (computer aided design and drafting) system work terminal; oversees and plans work of technical aides in maintenance, taking and analyzing test borings; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of more than one specialized field in transportation construction engineering such as construction, surveys and materials testing; skill and ability to analyze and evaluate construction location problems and provide effective solutions; considerable skill in use of computer aided design and drafting (CADD) applications; considerable technical skills in preparation of engineering and administrative reports; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to perform complex mathematical calculations; ability to develop and interpret plans and specifications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management and two (2) years of experience in a professional transportation construction engineering or transportation engineering capacity.
Note: For State employees, one (1) year of experience must have been at the level of Transportation Engineer 1 (Construction Engineering) or (Engineering).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Land Surveyor (LS) licensure or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
2. Possession of Land Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) licensure or Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
3. Possession of at least Level III certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Surveys or Highway Construction Inspection
4. Possession of a Level III Survey Technician Certification from the National Society of Professional Surveyors may be substituted for the Bachelor’s Degree requirement.
5. Possession of an American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) certification, at the level of a Welding Inspector (WI) or above, may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
6. A Master’s degree in engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Experience with CADD (computer aided design and drafting system), preferably Microstation.
- Experience with ArcGIS.
- Experience staying organized and problem-solving.
- Experience utilizing and analyzing geospatial data.
- Experience with land surveying practices and principles.
- Experience understanding survey and construction plans.
1. Incumbents may be required to possess appropriate certification from the NorthEast Transportation Training and Certification Program (NETTCP).
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.