For over 140 years, the State of Connecticut, Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) has been caring for its Veterans and their dependents. As a Department, we believe in "serving those who have served." This is accomplished through our: Office of Advocacy and Assistance, Residential Facility, Healthcare Center, and Cemetery and Burial Services.
The DVA has supported Connecticut Veterans and continues this tradition with Residential and Healthcare programming on our campus in Rocky Hill. There are two paths for residency at the DVA:
- Residential Facility: offers temporary, supportive living with programming designed to return Connecticut Veterans to independent living in the community;
- Sgt. John L. Levitow Healthcare Center: a state-of-the-art medical facility that offers long-term care for Veterans with chronic, disabling conditions who require 24-hour assistance.
When you walk through the doors of the Healthcare Center (HCC), one immediately feels a sense of community, comfort, and camaraderie. The HCC stands apart from other 24-hour care centers with full time Physicians and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses on staff. Our highly trained staff is dedicated to providing compassionate care to meet the unique needs of Veteran patients, built on the foundation of integrity, honor, and respect. We pride ourselves on fostering these qualities as we honor Veteran patients for their service and encourage the innate bond between them.
We are seeking four Nurse's Aides to support DVA's skilled nursing facility located at 287 West Street in Rocky Hill. These positions are part-time, second shift, 24 hours per week, with a work schedule of 2:45pm - 11:15pm, which includes every other weekend and holidays. The position numbers are 105637, 2917, 3118, 2931.
In this role, you will discover the opportunity to:
- Engage in a rewarding career;
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve;
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
Please Note: 1199 employees should apply to all postings they are interested in.
- We offer a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year.
- We encourage a strong work/life balance for all state employees.
- We offer opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- We have limitless areas for you to perform relevant and significant work.
These wonderful benefits are pro-rated for part-time positions.
Check out the video below to learn more about making an impaCT by serving the State of Connecticut.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID 19 Vaccination Immunization.
- Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualifications, as listed on the job opening, will be considered for this role, as determined by qualifications stated on the submitted application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
AFTER YOU APPLY
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
CONNECT WITH US
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Pamela Rochette via email Pamela.Rochette@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state hospital this class is accountable for rendering bedside care to the physically or chronically ill in cases where the services of a registered or licensed practical nurse are not required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists doctors and nurses in general care and well being of patients; positions, transfers, moves and lifts patients; may feed, bathe and massage clients as well as respond to their general needs; takes and records temperatures, pulses and respirations; observes patients and reports unusual symptoms and/or behavior; ensures that restraints are correctly applied; tests urine samples for sugar; collects specimens; keeps beds, bedpans and related equipment clean; maintains unit environment for safety of patient; transports patients, specimens and other related patient items; may apply or remove braces; may process billing and/or insurance information; may act as triage and/or receptionist for incoming patients and telephone calls; may schedule patient appointments; prepares reports and correspondence including necessary forms and/or requisitions, dietary orders, death paperwork and assembly of charts; may order supplies; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable interpersonal skills; ability to work with basic principles of nursing including infection control practices; ability to deal with physically and chronically ill; ability to learn safety and fire procedures.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Certification as a Nurse's Aide.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
One (1) year of experience in patient care in a hospital or nursing home.
Note: The above substitution will not apply to certain positions at the University of Connecticut Health Center - certification as a Nurse’s Aide will be required for those positions.
- Experience working in a Skilled Nursing Facility;
- Experience following COVID processes in a Skilled Nursing Facility;
- Experience caring for patients with dementia;
- Experience documenting care utilizing an Electronic Medical Record system;
- Experience caring for Veteran patients.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift patients and perform other physically tiring work, have some exposure to communicable and/or infectious diseases and strongly disagreeable conditions and to risk of injury from assaultive patients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.