Do you want to make a difference while participating in a dynamic and reciprocal health care environment in the public sector?
If so, then we have an excellent opportunity for you to join our hospital's team!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
At the Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH), individuals receive services that assist them to better manage their illnesses, achieve personal goals, and develop skills and supports that lead to living the most constructive and satisfying lives possible. We strive to promote recovery through collaborative, compassionate, and culturally competent treatment in a safe and caring environment.
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Dietary Technician. The reporting location is Battell Trayline, 1000 Silver Street in Middletown. This position is full-time, first shift, 37.5 hours per week, with a work schedule of 5:00am to 6:00pm, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. The position number is 126688.
In this position you will provide food service needs of CVH and River Valley Services. Battell Trayline produces approximately 2400 meals daily, of which 40% require special dietary preparation to meet patients' medical needs.
Discover the opportunity to:
- Engage in a rewarding career;
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve;
- Assist our staff and clients/patients so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
- As a State employee, this position offers the same competitive benefits you are accustomed to including healthcare coverage, and a retirement plan, as well as paid time off. We encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements of COVID-19 Vaccination.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
AFTER YOU APPLY
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
CONNECT WITH US
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jensine Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor responsible for ensuring compliance and clinical maintenance of special diet orders and food quality on a food service line.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans and coordinates clinical workflow of food service line area and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews staff; establishes and maintains service line area procedures; provides staff inservice training; counsels employees; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; follows procedures to implement nutritional care of patients/clients on special diets; receives and interprets oral and written diet orders and indicates appropriate applications; calculates and specifies to food service workers amounts of food required for therapeutic diets and tray service; takes inventory and may assist with the ordering of food and supplies; supervises serving and distribution of trays to patient care units by making sure proper special diet coincides with tray ticket; monitors food quality, accuracy of therapeutic diets and food temperature; keeps accurate records of diet orders and trays delivered, patient food preferences and diet changes on a daily basis; communicates with management personnel of dietary department, nursing personnel and other departments as needed; maintains proper safety, sanitation and cleanliness of kitchen area and eating utensils; may operate and maintain computerized patient dietary card file; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of food service operations and relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; knowledge of basic and clinical nutrition pertaining to therapeutic diets; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the preparation and serving of food on a large scale.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in the clinical area of a hospital or institution food service.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Completion of courses approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics which satisfy the requirements for an Associate's Degree in Dietary Technology may be substituted for the General Experience.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
3. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate weights; may be exposed to some risk of injury from kitchen equipment and from patients and/or clients.